Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SpywareRemover program won't uninstall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sheryl_Williams

Sheryl_Williams

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

I've spent the probably three hours on the phone with a Dell technician in the last 24 hours and WAY too much time on this. I'm so ready to be done . . .

He was able to finally get me to access the internet temporarily and installed various other scanners that found things that SpywareRemover NEVER found. My computer was so infected with rogue applications that he says it's amazing that my computer is even running at all. System restore never works.

After he got me up & running I lost connection again this morning, but was able to use the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands to get it open. But the internet seems to be really "iffy" and sometimes it times out or won't go to the next page. So I'm hurriedly trying to get this posted before I get wiped out again!!

He tells me that the program SpywareRemover in itself is creating some of this. However --- I have several issues in trying to remove it.

1. It's listed in my Control Panel (also in Add/Remove Programs, but I also see it when I open Control Panel), but my Control Panel doesn't give me the option to delete it.

2. It comes up under Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, but no Change button is present (as is the case with many of the programs in Control Programs right now), so I can't delete it from there. I think the root of the problem is in my Control Panel somewhere.

3. SpywareRemover is not listed in my Programs Folder.

4. SpywareRemover is not listed in my Start Menu, so there's not an uninstall application there.

5. I've tried using SystemMechanic to uninstall it, but that of course explores your hard drive for it, and it's not listed there (at least not in a way that I recognize it).

Help!! How do I . . .

A, get rid of this thing from my Control Panel, and
B, fix my Add/Remove Programs?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cllj7

cllj7

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

I'm not an exactly PC expert but I can remember something like this happened to me before, I just coulnd't remove this anti-virus software. And it was doing all sort of pointless scans in the background. So in the end I just deleted all the files from Program Files and then I never saw the program again. But please check with someone first to see if it's safe. It only worked on mine :thumbsup: Good Luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-re.../spywareremover

If this fails, then I would just manually remove every registry entry for said item...and then delete all files/folders related to such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users