Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange router problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

I have a D-link WBR 2310 wireless router. I have had it for about a year or two and have just started experiencing a strange issue that started around Monday or Tuesday. The thing is, the wireless just completely stops, my computer, which is connected to it via an ethernet cable, works perfectly. My Xbox 360 and my iPod touch, which both use wireless, can't find the network. So basically only hard-wired connections work on it. I can get the wireless back up by restarting the router, but it goes down again in a few hours.

Any help is appreciated.

As always, Thanks,

~Jordan (xBL!NDx)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:02 PM

Sounds like a very strange problem.

Have you done any recent changes to the router? What make and model of router is it?

If you haven't done any changes to the router and its all of a sudden stop working, maybe check and see if there is a newer firmware version available.

#3 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

It's a D-Link WBR 2310 and has the latest firmware. No recent changes.

#4 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

See as how you do not use your computer for wireless, this won't affect it, but have you tried resetting the router back to its factory defaults? That might be another step.

#5 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

my first thought would be interference.......if it were me i would make sure i haven't introduced a new device in the home that might be causing this.....if it's a G router then likely it uses a 2.4ghz frequency that can also be found in cordless phones, etc.....you can also try to change the wireless channel used by the router or phone.....i once created my own problems with a baby monitor.....i had the same symptoms you do, wireless was come and go....started troubleshooting thinking what have i changed and bingo....
Posted Image

#6 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

I'm pretty positive that our phones are a different frequency because we had this conversation when we bought our new phones. It can't be interfernce anyway because I can be right next to the router and still no connection.

I'm pretty positive that our phones are a different frequency because we had this conversation when we bought our new phones. It can't be interfernce anyway because I can be right next to the router and still no connection.

#7 bama_fan

bama_fan

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

hey just a thought....take it or leave it.....leave it apparently
Posted Image

#8 xblindx

xblindx
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

Sorry for the stupid double post thing. I was on my iPod *grr*

I do appreciate the suggestion. It just doesn't seem like interference could be the problem. Another thing to notice was that 2 nights ago, it stayed on all night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users