Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need advice after xp sytem restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pjdbonanza

pjdbonanza

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

Hi.. I'm new to bleeping computer. I recently had an XP crash incident. I think I precipitated it by shutting my dell down manually (the 5 second push on the start switch) several times in a row while trying to figure out why the computer was "freezing" when I tried to use Roxio CD creator. In retrospect, I think that iTunes and Roxio conflict, as the problem arose after downloading iTunes. When I tried to burn a CD.. EVERYTHING hung up. Even task manager couldn't shut things down, and it itself stopped working... thus the 5 second push!! Anyway, on about the third manual over ride reboot, the system shutdown incorrectly screen came up, and none of the options (safe mode, last known good, etc) worked.. XP would start to load, and then it went right back to the Dell reboot screen... in a sort of endless loop. 5 hours on the phone with India (microsoft tech support) and all sorts of tries with Recovery Panel.. still nothing.. so we had to reinstall XP.

Now, the computer is running, and all the data is OK (like digital pictures, thank goodness)... but none of the programs are loaded. The program files are there, but none are installed.

I had to go through the elaborate Symantic procedures to get Norton un installed before I could reinstall it.. so that is up and running. How do I get the rest of the programs back? Just to make life difficult, dell shipped the computer with Windows ME, and I upgraded to XP... so I'm not sure the CD's that came with the computer will work.

What I need is a good "here's what to do after system restore" manual!!

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

What did you use to reinstall XP? Have you tried to reinstall your programs?
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:55 PM

I don't think there is an easier way other than sucking it up and manually installing all your old programs. On the upside - you've got a fresh slate to go with.

#4 pjdbonanza

pjdbonanza
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

Thanks for the replies..

I used the XP Upgrade disk to reinstall XP..

I know I'll need to re install programs.. the question really boils down to.. what should I do with the old program files that are still in the programs folder!!?? Intuitively, I would guess that I should somehow manually remove all traces of the orinal program (program files, registry, etc) before I just reinset the disk, and reinstall the program. Certainly with Norton... I HAD to do that (a long and tedious process) before I could reinstall Norton. I think roxio has the same requirement.. Even Office for Small Business.. all the old files are there, but nothing runs.. I'm not sure I know everything I need to do to manually remove ALL the old bits and pieces before re installing

Any idesa!??

Paul

#5 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

Typically when you load your programs it's going to come across the old version of the file and ask you if you would like to replace it. Aside from that I'm not sure I had the same problem as you. I don't remember any deletion of old files before replacment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users