Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help a computer illiterate out

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 akjim777

akjim777

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:12 AM

Hi, just so I'm not fooling anyone, "I Know Next To Nothing, Feel Free to Educate Me!!" With that said, here we go. I recently purchased a Gateway M-6846 lap top and had the option of a 32 or 64 bit platform. 64 sounded better(bigger number you understand) and the saleperson said 64 bit is the wave of the future and so thats where I sit at the present. I use my lap top for emails, word processing(Word 2007), to play poker, and to send and receive pictures of my grandbabies. How does that sit with 64 bit? Do I need it or should I switch to 32 bit? Is Media player 11 compatible with 64 bit? So far I'm not sure that I really see the advantages that the salesperson spoke of. In my ignorance, am i just missing it?
I have more questions, but I'd better start here. THANKS Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

There's no real difference between the 64 bit and 32 bit versions to most users.
If you want to use older hardware there may be issues.
Also, some hardware doesn't come with 64 bit drivers.

Most 32 bit programs will work on 64 bit OS' - although there are still a few holdouts.
Most significantly, if you use the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer you'll notice that there's no 64 bit version of Adobe/Macromedia Flash.
But it works just fine with the 32 bit version of Internet Explorer.

The biggest caution is to ensure that there are 64 bit drivers available for any hardware that you may want to use/purchase. Beyond that, just sit back and enjoy!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

"Wave of the Future" to MS usually translates to "Nightmare of the Present" for users :huh:

64-bit is ok. Other than the driver issues stated above it should be ok to keep it. Knowing WIN you'll likely have more problems trying to downgrade to 32-bit than if you just leave it.

General rule of thumb for Win: If it runs without crashing and actually does what you ask it to do DON"T MAKE ANY CHANGES - or - if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users