Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

print spooler missing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dan yell

dan yell

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:32 AM

i have a windows xp and am trying to get my printing to work among other things with my computer but will start with that. Have a lexmarx printer and it was working fine then quit working. When this first happened i was told to go under run/ services.msc and turn it on manually well tried that no luck after doing many things i finally gave up, but after 3 months, im missing my printer. After contacting lexmark on what to do, they basically told me things ive tried already, but when i went back to services,msc the print spooler wasnt there anymore. I tried to reload my disk but says no RPC located. So now im thinking i should do a system recovery not just because of that, but its running really, really slow. So my other question on that once i do that in safe mode then what do i do? What kind of things do i look for to clean up my computer? thank for listening and hopefully for any help out there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stilllearnin

stilllearnin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:22 AM

Hello ,

Just wondering what type of antivirus & spyware protection you use ?

Here is a program that will help in the start to cleaning your system to get it ready to do some repairs

Follow link

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No...lbar_d4191.html

Now download the program & install it and work your way thru the program / now at this time do not use the (registry cleaner) for you just want to do a cleaning for now / use this program in the default mode / default is the settings that it is installed to your system as.

Then when done empty your caches thru the (internet options) found in the control pannel / empty all except for your passwords

Then do a disk clean up / found in (start , all programs , (accessories ) , and in (system tools)

Then do a defragment / found in ( start , all programs , (accessories ) , and in (system tools)

Then do a reboot

Now this is just a start to what will need to be done of several steps that i will direct you to follow

Get back to me

Edited by stilllearnin, 06 December 2008 - 04:24 AM.

#3 dan yell

dan yell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

I have mcafee and webroot spy sweeper. Yes i have done a disk cleanup and defragment, temp files cleaned up. Changed my start up files thought that might be slowing things up also. I bought a file restore program but when i try to install it, it says can not find internet connection. I bought that hoping it would find files/drivers that im missing for my printer. Curious under lexmark website they have the driver listed that i need for the printer, would that also install the spooler? Hate to download extra things on computer considering how slow it is already. thanks

#4 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Have you tried doing the following:
Start - Run
Type
sfc /scannow
Repair any missing system files

#5 dan yell

dan yell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

yes, i just did that, but didnt seem to find my hidden print spooler file. I went under run, system and my tcp/iprint server was stopped and when i went to hit to start it, it said the dependencies of tcp/ip protocol driver was deleted/missing. Would this be something i would need for the printer/spooler? thanks

#6 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Two more things

1. 1) Put your XP CD in the CD Drive.

2) Start > Run > EXPAND /r "TheCDDriveLetter"\i386
\SPOOLSV.EX_ C:\Windows\System32

3) Start > Run SPOOLSV.EXE /install

OR
2. Then went into services and started the Print Spooler
manually. When rebooting, it now starts. I'm guessing
it was a corrupted spool file.

If you go to administrative tools in the control panel
and go to services, scroll down to print spooler. Right
click and click properties, click the tab dependencies
and you will notice the print spooler depends on the
service Remote Procedure Call(RPC). Go back to the
service menu and scroll down to remote procedure call
(RPC), right click and click start. This will start the
RPC service allowing you to start the print spooler. If
you want them both to start at startup, right click,
properties, general, and change startup type to automatic
for both of them. If the RPC start function is greyed
out, you will have to go to the RPC properties, and
select either manual startup(starts when you manually
make it) or sutomatic(starts at startup) this list didn't
fix mine,so i went thru and started everything that
looked important and it works fine now, didn't even have
to restart

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

Did a CD containing the drivers come with the printer? If so, delete the drivers and reinstall them from the CD.

Another thing to try would be to uninstall the printer physically, cycle the computer on and off, reinstall the printer and let the installation wizard reinstall it.

How is this connected, USB or Serial port? If this is connected by a USB port look in the Device Manager under Univeral Serial Port Controllers to see if there is an error for the USP Printing support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dan yell

dan yell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

there is no usb port for printing under the device manager. Also no print spooler that i can start manually under run/services. I also dont have my cd that came with my windows xp. Im screwed huh? I dont know if this makes a difference but i did a system scan under the "help and support page" and under the App/device it says NONE. Says obsolete application and device driver. Does anyone think that would have any effect on the print/spooler

#9 99Lightfoot

99Lightfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

I keep having to restart my print spooler.

Any ideas?

Lightfoot

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

Hi 99lightfoot, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

I would suggest that you start your own topic as this one has so many responses that it will mostly be ignored by other members who will think that it has bee addressed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 99Lightfoot

99Lightfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users