Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is iexplore.exe a virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kroleig1

kroleig1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hi

I have recently noticing a really slow startup and sometimes ie7 crashes for no reason. I started cleaning the hard drives and ran ccleaner, there after ran virus utilities. Norton, AVG, Ikirus and then ad-aware. They removed some spyware and give a clean report, however I noticed after running adwatch, as soon as ie7 is launched i get an error message that says the following:

The process "iexplore.exe" (5040) is trying t o modify (ValueChangeOrAdd) the registry
Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main

Do you want to allow or block it?

I initially chose to allow to all 6 notifications like this, then my computer slowed. I did a system restore and still there. I then did a system recovery twice and still the same thing. If I choose to block this process, then the system freezes upon restart and i just see a black screen for a long time. After hitting the esc key several times I find that the system then slowly begins to appear but then soon after it redraws, one item at a time, it hangs and wont respond to right mouse clicks or anything..

Do I have an issue with a faulty reinstall with ie7, is this an ie process and if not then why do none of the anti virus and spyware agents remove it?

I appreciate your help and your time..

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pandy, 06 December 2008 - 02:07 AM.
Moved from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:26 AM

Of interest, have you yet tried UNinstalling IE7 to see IF that makes any difference?

Also, can you kindly clarify which ONE antivirus program you have installed .

' Ikirus ' ?? is this the correct spelling for this program ?

#3 Capri

Capri

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

iexplore.exe is not a virus (usually). It's Internet Explorer main process and seems to be trying to register as your default browser.
Nevertheless, any mean application can be named whatever you want. And a virus or trojan could be named "iexplore.exe". In such a case you'll have to check the full path for that process. In my computer it's "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
For checking such information about processes I installed Daphne, a task manager replacement.
If you haven't already tried it, you may like Mozilla Firefox

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

iexplore.exe

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/iexplore.exe.html

"iexplore.exe" is the Internet Browser from Mircosoft. It is a part of the Windows Operating system.

I did a system restore and still there. I then did a system recovery twice and still the same thing.

was this to a time PRIOR to the installalation of IE7?
To eliminate IE7 as the cause of the error can you try to uninstall IE7 and see if you still get the error message?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users