Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Picture & Fax Viewer in Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mrs. P_dizzle

Mrs. P_dizzle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:25 PM

Hello!
I have searched all over google and tried wht I've found for my problem with no resolution. I hope I can find the answer here :huh:

It's my father's computer. It's a dell, running Vista Ultimate 32bit (for some reason not 64 bit when his comp is 64 bit lol).

Problem is last weekend I downloaded and installed Picasa Version 3.0.0 Build 57.53,0. I just got back to dad's house a week later, and he informed me that Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is gone. It can't be found in program list (not sure if it could b4 as I know it's part of Windows), can't do the open with, when I try to run>cmd and enter:rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\System32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1 I get this error: the module "shimgvw.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. At this site there were some fixes, but I can't in Vista get anything open to edit file paths, I can only choose programs and I followed instrucitons to go to .dll to get it to run, but nothing is working. Here are a couple of sites I used to try to fix:
Annoyances
Ask Leo 2 links there to the actual help
Tech Support Guy

I can't really do a system restore. It's my dad's business as well as personal comp, and I'm not sure when he did a last back up. So I'd rather do more work than trying restore so as to avoid some tyrade ;)

If anyone can help, I'd much appreciate it.

Tkx,
Mrs. P_dizzle
My Myspace

Life is yummy. Eat it UP!

myspace.com/rydout

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:06 AM

Hi Mrs. P. dizzle

In this particular case, I think system restore would be the easiest way to resolve the problem. If it doesn't help, it is easy enough to simply undo the step you took. System restore doesn't remove data, but simply sets the registry back to an earlier point. It's different than setting the system back to its factory settings. Documents, photos, music files, and other forms of data. are not affected. Recently installed programs are affected and will be removed and will need to be reinstalled, so you could ask your father if he installed any new programs after you installed Picasa. If you'd like to do this, there are instructions here:

Windows Vista System Restore Guide

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users