Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse and Keyboard don't work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lauren h

lauren h

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

I've got Windows XP Home installed on a PC. The owner of the PC, after Windows prompted him to install some sort of mouse/keyboard software used with new hardware, lost the use of his mouse and keyboard. This may or may not be the problem, as he's had the same mouse/keyboard/computer combination for about 2 years.
I can't get past the welcome/log in screen (the same thing even happens in safe mode). Both the keyboard and the mouse are plugged in via the green and purple ports on the back of the computer (sorry, I can't remember what that's called at the moment). The mouse is optical and my brother (the computer owner) says that the red light on the bottom of the mouse came on in Safe Mode, but it still would not work (nor would the keyboard).

Any and all help would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

Is it possible to uninstall that sotware thru the Contol Panel's Add/Remove Programs.

Another option may be to use System Restore and roll the system back to a date prior to installing the software.
See..Windows XP System Restore Guide
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lauren h

lauren h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

No, it's not possible to do either of those since I can't use the mouse or the keyboard even in Safe Mode.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:41 PM

A simple thing to try:
Turn off the computer.
UNPLUG the mouse and the keyboard from the ports.
Wait a couple of minutes, plug them back in, restart the computer.
I had issues with ps2 ports a few times, and this usually worked for me.
May not work for your brother, but at this point you will probably try anything.
Make sure they get plugged in to the correct ports. (purple for keyboards and green for mice)

#5 lauren h

lauren h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

I've tried that already. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my original post.

I'm seriously considering doing a Clean Install of XP from the CD. Would that end the problem?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:30 AM

A clean install might solve the issue. Especially if he installed new software.
Another alternative would be to use a p2 to usb converter, which might also resolve the issue.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,878 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

How about trying a different/standard keyboard and mouse, with PS2 connections?

Plain vanilla normally works...and doesn't require any "additional software."

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2008 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users