Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free 2GB Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:05 PM

By now most if not all of us know about, and use Googles new E-mail...G-mail. Some of us know that for thier first aniversery they increased the storage to 2 GB, and that the storage space they provide is constantly increasing (very slowly).

Well Here is a way to utilize that space!

Click
http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

It installs a Virtual Hard Drive. Upon your first time opening it, it asks for your username and password. It has nearly all the same functions of a regular Hard Drive!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

I would draw your attention to the several caveats written by the author of the application:

"Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters). Since the tool hooks up with the free GMail Service provided by Google, changes in the GMail system may break the tool's ability to function. I cannot guarantee that files stored in this manner will be accessible in the future." (emphasis mine)

"Please be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use."

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

OMG :thumbsup:

Quick, someone give me a Gmail invite!

Edited by scarlett, 11 May 2005 - 03:20 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

I would draw your attention to the several caveats written by the author of the application:

"Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters). Since the tool hooks up with the free GMail Service provided by Google, changes in the GMail system may break the tool's ability to function. I cannot guarantee that files stored in this manner will be accessible in the future." (emphasis mine)

"Please be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use."

Regards,
John

:thumbsup: I knew it sounded to good to be true.
Posted Image

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

If you wanted to store some smaller files, you could always just mail them to yourself at Yahoo or GMail, and move them to a special folder and keep them there. While the application mentioned might be a possible storage solution, I would not risk using it to store anything you might want at a later date.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:47 PM

I'd be incredibly wary about storing large/multiple files in another comp or system, especially a mailbox. I'm happy just keeping all my work on my PC's harddrive, seeing as how i only use about 11 gB's.

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

It probably would be a safe place to store the millions of dollars I'm going to get from that guy in Nigeria...should be here any day now. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#8 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

Yea I read that, but all programs have warnings and possibilties. I wouldnt have recommended to save valuable data on their (especially since it could be possible to have it hacked by others).

Also, I think he would make a new version of the tool if/when Google changes their system.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

It probably would be a safe place to store the millions of dollars I'm going to get from that guy in Nigeria...should be here any day now. :thumbsup:

:flowers: I'll wire the money as soon as I can, or you could send me your credit card number and I'll be sure to make it look like its all paid off :trumpet:

:inlove: :cool:

Edited by yanowhiz, 13 May 2005 - 02:01 PM.

#10 storme

storme

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:18 AM

hey,,,i thought i was the only one who was getting that money from the ex chief of nigeria :thumbsup:

damn they double crossed me :flowers:

#11 MalikTous

MalikTous

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

What, that spam, spam, spam, eggs, sausage, and spam from Nigeria? Bloody vikings...

I've got plenty of little (like 1.2 and 1.5 GB) hard drives left over from busted PCs I've fixed or scrapped. As for 'megamail' sites, I prefer to use them for - get this - email. I'd prefer to use DropLoad.com or set up some temporary servers to send huge files... Google's 2GB email accounts are ripe for people who want to stuff them up with something.
'Open the @^!&&!#& hatch, Hal!'

'I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that...'

#12 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2005 - 10:02 PM

i use the GMail Drive on my computer, so far it's worked flawlessly. although you cannot open any files off it (they must be downloaded), it is an excellent way to transfer files from one computer to another (sort of like a shared hard drive, to any computer you want). I use it to store my picture and music files, and i can access them at school or on a friends computer quickly and easily, even without the GMail Drive program. All it does is email every file you put in there to yourself, using a tag at the beginning of the email. When you open the GMail Drive, it searches your emails for those with tags and adds them in the corresponding folder, amking it look exaclty the same, no matter what computer your on.

I find it quite useful, and I imagine it will be even more so with multiple accounts, just change the username and password, and Voila!, you've got a whole nother Hard Drive.

Posted Image

#13 RACEMONEY

RACEMONEY

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:46 PM

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A GMAIL ACCOUNT!!!

I HAVE HAD THE SAME HOTMAIL ACCOUNT SINCE I STARTED USING THE INTERNET AND THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES (WHEN I WAS UNEMPLOYED AND DESTITUTE FOR EXAMPLE) WHEN IT WAS MY ONLY FORM OF WEB CONTACT POINT.

If someone would be so inclined to invite me for a Gmail account I would be very grateful.

Thanks!!

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

I believe we need an email addy to send you an invite.
If you want one - message me with your email address.

#15 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:16 PM

i've already contacted racemoney, he's got one now

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users