Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error message when trying to copy files to CD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 losinsusan

losinsusan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

Hi
I started getting concerned that should I ever crash, I have some pictures I want to salvage and my favorites file and address book too.
Everything else is forgettable or replaceable. So I pop in a CD RW to my E drive and select the picture files I wanted to keep and hit copy file. I then had the option where....so I hit CD Drive E.....no problem. I keep getting the error message its inaccessable. ?? I then looked for help at Microsoft and it said older CD R's might not be able to use CDRW so I tried it again with a CD R and still same message. What am I doing wrong? My computer is only a couple years old and I burn music without a problem all the time in that drive. Can you help me out. I am a security freak and wanted to be sure to "back up" things I would need if I have to buy a new computer (one can hope) Thanks.......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

What application are you using to burn the files to CD?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 losinsusan

losinsusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

Application? I have windows XP and i suppose its window media? I have no clue that I needed an application to copy it. I just did it in my computer.....

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:49 AM

Have you gotten the Update To the CD Writing Utility ?

Microsoft released an update to the utility you are referring to...here is a link to that update in case you haven't updated it yet:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831240
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#5 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:52 AM

One more follow up thought...

Make sure that you have CD Recording enabled on your drive. To do this, open My Computer, then right click on your cd writable drive, then select properties. When the box comes up select the Recording Tab and make sure that "Enable CD Recording on this drive is check marked"
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#6 losinsusan

losinsusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

Wow that was it. I didn't have that CD enable writing button clicked. That is great. Just finished copying my things. I never had trouble doing music. This is great to know and your a doll for helping me out. Thanks again.............

#7 losinsusan

losinsusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

Okay everything copied fine but...now when i restarted up my computer on my start bar is an "enable DLA" icon. I tried to find out what it is thru my HP help desk. But do I want that enabled. I never had it before enabled. I see where in properties of the E CD drive there is a check box to enable drag and drop with the DLA. Do I want that? ITs odd that by clicking enable CD writing on this drive it brought up this DLA thing? What do I do with it? Will that stay forever on my start bar? Help!!!!!

#8 losinsusan

losinsusan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

Can I just remove this software? Otherwise how will i get it off my start bar. I don't want anymore things running in the background then necessary. Darn it, I seem to have opened a can of worms here.

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

You can uncheck the box again when you aren't using it. Are you sure it didn't say "Enable DMA?"

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

"This product enables access to your optical drive from
Windows. You can now use your CDR(W) or DVD recorder
for file storage and retrieval as if it were a hard drive
or floppy disk.

Discs must be formatted for DLA use.
Refer to the on-line help for configuration and formatting
instructions.

DLA may not function properly if Auto Insert Notification
(AutoRun) is disabled. If you encounter difficulties with
DLA, please ensure that the AutoRun feature of your
operating system is enabled."
http://dl0.sonicjapan.co.jp/dl/SonyDrive_D.../readme_ENU.txt

If you want to be able to use Windows to write to the cd drive DLA must be enabled and in the startup menu according to this tutorial.

Don't get too overconcerned about necessary programs or processes running (those that enable the way in which you wish to use your computer).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users