Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Insane memory usage.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jat Goodwin

Jat Goodwin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

Posted Image
Ok, I have windows XP professional 64 bit.

That picture was taken shortly after a boot up.

I used to have 3 gigs of memory, but I had to recently remove 2 of them, which wasn't a problem back when I originally had 1. These programs using that kind of memory were not a problem before, but now I can barely run any programs.

Before installed the extra 2 gigs, memory usage was normal. After I installed it the memory usage went up to where it is at now, and it really didn't affect me.

I have tried all kinds of stuff but it from what I have read it seems the only way you can limit the memory usage is if its programed into the software in the first place. Otherwise its going to take whatever it damn well pleases.

I understand that virtual memory is not the same as physical memory, but take a look at my physical memory in the corner before you say anything about it.
Also I understand that I have allot of unneeded programs running, but even if I cut them all out, it only leaves me with around 550mb left, which is making very difficult to run programs like Maya, Photoshop, and 3DS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:45 AM

Did you try your remaining one memory in different slots? Did you try each of the three memories one at a time to see if they are all working? Did you try returning your computer to a restore point from when you originally had one memory? When you took out the two pieces of memory, did you take out the two new ones and leave the original one, or was the original one, one of the ones you removed?

Does this happen in Safe Mode too?

Edited by Zllio, 08 December 2008 - 07:46 AM.

#3 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

Your memory should be in the closest slot to your CPU.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/replace/ram_2.jpg

In this picture, the black fan like object is your cpu. So I would recommend making sure your ram stick is in the slot closest to your CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users