Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot download any files/software,etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fred53

Fred53

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

Hi all. I hope someone can help.

I have Windows 98SE with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools.
Ram 512

Have had no problems until recently.

Saw that when I looked up info in my system I saw that Shockwave ActiveX Control said it was damaged, if that helps any.

I have a program called Bug Eliminator and Webroot Spysweeper that I use all the time.
I also did a defrag and cleaned things up as much as I can.

When I try to download a file, the window with the globe and folder comes up and the paper if flying over but the window asking me what I want to call the file or where to puty it, it nevers pops up. If this goes on for a while a window comes up that says: "Internet Explorer cannot download.....was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found"

I have tried to download numerous files, etc but nothing.

Now when I first encountered this problem I did a sweep with my Spysweeper program and then I could download. But the next day no downloads. This has been going on (the problem) for about 5 days.

Do I need to get a hard copy of Internet explorer and reload it or?

Thanks for any ideas.

Fred

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

I am only a member but I had the same problem and I noticed when I installed the update it changes my security settings(ActiveX) to Micosoft defaults, I had to to tinker with it and finally got it running,just be aware, when installing an update MSN likes to set YOUR security settinges the way "they" think they should be set.
I remembered I could not unistall it becuase it said I had setup.log file was damaged, I finally RE-INSTALLED the free Flash Player to get the currpted filr and it unistalled fine, after that I installed it and has been working for quite some time now.. :thumbsup:

These links might point you in the right direction:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=tn_15728

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...cfm?id=tn_16178

and starting free downloads:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/downlo...=ShockwaveFlash

Just a comment not trying to tell you want to do or how to fix it, hopefully this will help.

Edited by falcon1, 11 May 2005 - 07:03 PM.

In a World without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:34 AM

I am only a member but

Welcome falcon1 and please feel free to post comments and suggestions anywhere on this site. Our members are what makes this such a great place and the sharing of thoughts and ideas is what this forum is all about.

Hi Fred53 and welcome to BC

I saw that Shockwave ActiveX Control said it was damaged

Macromedia has uninstall directions here for Flash and you can uninstall Shockwave as follows:

In order to uninstall the Shockwave player, simply use the file UNWISE.EXE located in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10. Windows users can also use the Add/Remove programs located in the Windows control panel. This will remove the Shockwave 10 player

Or go to this page for installers and uninstallers both.

I think your download problems are seperate but try again after correcting the flash problem.

Your spyware problems are quite likely interferring with your ability to download (a commom tactic of those programs, so you can't get the fixes). Suggest you try submitting a HiJack This log to our team. See How to submit a Hijackthis Log.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users