Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will not defrag now i cant boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ecve

ecve

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

My laptop was having problems defragging=the message i get is disk defragmenter could not start.
In addition I couldn't chkdsk= autochk is not available for raw drives.
I tried these steps so far:
1. Disk Defragment in Safe Mode
2. Register related DLL files
3. Add a new Disk Defragmenter
4. Reinstall the Disk Defragmenter Engine
5. Adjust Paging file size
6.entering BIOS and checking if the hard drive is recognized as NTFS didnt get an answer on that. ran hardrive self test results= 00 pass bios version F.12
7. virus scan with microsoft safety.live.com all problems fixed except one
8. Ran chkdsk in windows recovery mode used chkdsk /r

still got the same message when i ran defrag. I downloaded ccleaner and ran that. i then downloaded superantispyware and ran it and thats when all my problems began. When i ran the program i unplugged my cable modem so i wouldnt be on the internet while the program was running. i forgot to shut down my wireless button on my laptop and picked up my neighbors internet connection without realizing it. spyware ran and then it froze i manually shutdown my computer and restarted and ran the spyware again. a message came up saying it could not scan all files because it was reading directly from the disk. i deleted what it had picked up and restarted spyware when i noticed internet was running shut that down and continued scan. deleted all files when scan was down. rebooted and tried to install spybot. got a message saying files were corrupted to redownload. i tried to go to the website would not go. restarted and tried again no luck. tried to reboot into safe mode a blue screen popped up with a long message went to fast for me to read. tried about 10 more times pressing pause button would not pause so i couldnt read blue screen. tried to do a system restore no restore points available. deleted all software except ccleaner and superantispyware. went there to restore all quanranteed items stilll nothing.
please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

Size of the C: partition...and how much free space on the C: partition?

Louis

#3 ecve

ecve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

92.9GB free space 71.8GB

Ed

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

Honestly speaking...it looks as if you've done everything (and more) than I would do.

I don't follow all the jumble contained in the 2d paragraph of your post, it seems unimportant to me...but then you say that where your problems began.

Maybe I don't understand...you post one thing as your topic, yet you seem to believe that there are other problems.

If you didn't install Spybot until after your troubles began...maybe you didn't have a reliable AV installed...and malware may be the real problem. I don't know, maybe someone else has a clue.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users