Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TCP/IP DNS server not assigning an address on dial-up - HELP!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tracylynn

tracylynn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

Hello!

I was hoping to get some help here! I'm at the end of my rope with this problem.

I'm working on a friend's computer. They were getting the Cannot display this webpage error screen for IE 7 on XP.
They are on dial-up, that is all they can get besides satellite internet. We live in a rural area. I'm on satellite, but they don't want to pay the $60 bucks a month for that. But their computer is connecting to the server, it just won't bring up webpages.

But, anyway, I've been trying to get it to load IE pages and have tried a million different things. Did all those simple things that Microsoft suggests about clearing the history and all that.

Now the webpages will load fine when I hook their computer up to my satellite internet connection with a router. I hook the dial-up back up, and it doesn't work again.

I checked the settings in the TCP/IP and the DNS servers and it is checked to automatically detect and assign a number, but it doesn't seem to work. But, I decided to try to assign a primary and secondary number using a university's numbers that I got off the web and it works then. Go back to automatically assign a number, and it doesn't work. So, seems to be something going on there.

Any suggestions?

THANKS![size="5"]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users