Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Still no-where with internet connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nickyboy

nickyboy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hi

Can anyone help, i'm still unable to connect to the internet.

In network diagnostics for XP it states:

Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. This is probably caused by firewall settings on this computer.

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21).

I have no current firewall running, I have no idea how to check the above ports.

I am using a netgear router.

Had no problems until I removed a vir trigger virus.

I have uninstalled all spyware/malware/virus software.

Cheers

Nickyboy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

Have you tried plugging in directly to your ISP modem to ensure the Internet is even working?

You are plugged into the router I assume?

What IP are you getting?

#3 nickyboy

nickyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

I know internet is working as i have router plugged into laptop at present and its working fine.

#4 chimo79

chimo79

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

There are two networks you must consider. Your local LAN consists of your laptop, the PC under consideration and your router (and possibly other devices plugged into your router that you haven't mentioned). The LAN is 'supervised' by your router. That is, it supplies the IP addresses to the devices on the LAN and all traffic goes to and from the router's IP address.

The second network is the Internet. Only the router talks to the internet with the IP address assigned to it by your ISP.

From your PC, you should be able to see the devices on your LAN. Go to My Network and see if the laptop is visible. In other words are you connected to Local. I think you can see the same thing if you hover over the Network icon in your Tray. Normally it will say Access: Local and Internet but could say Access:Local.

If you have no access (Local or Internet), your problem is likely in the PC. If you have Local access but no Internet access, you should look at the communication to the router. Perhaps you have misnamed the your network or something like that. Use your laptop to sign on as admin on your router and make sure your PC has not been excluded or something. I am on Vista so and I can't remember all the details but you should be able to see your PCs network configuration somewhere. Try the Network icon in Control Panel or perhaps look at the network devices in Device Manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users