Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe - bad image

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tuxedo tommy

tuxedo tommy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

My friend go the following error on her computer and brought it over to me to fix it:

Explorer.exe - bad image
the application or dll c:\windows\system32\iertutil.dll is not a valid windows image.

I figure it can't be too bad probably just a system restore but there's what's going down. I have tried everything from booting in safe mode to running safe mode with cmd prompt to try and backtrack the system files but nothing seems to work, and the big problem is that i do not have a windows home edition cd to repair it with but i do have xp pro. Is it possible to run off of the professional disk to repair home edition? or is there something I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:56 PM

Welcome to BleepingComputer, Tux.

Looks like the system has Internet Explorer 7 installed, as that file is a support DLL for IE7 and it may have become corrupted. Since it is part of IE7, an XP disk will be no help.

First up, if you can run IE, I suggest trying a repair of IE7.

"Method to follow if you have Internet Explorer 7
If you have Internet Explorer 7, you can repair damaged files or missing registration information in Internet Explorer 7. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start Internet Explorer 7.
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

If this does not work for you, folk have reported successfully solving this error by transferring a copy of the file from another known good computer running IE7. This is simpler than reverting to IE6 and re-installing IE7.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users