Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux for Older Laptops

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:48 PM

I have a question for everyone.... I just got for free 3 good laptops that are in real good shape all are dell's and work good... One is a Pentium I, another is a Pentium II and the last is a Pentium III... What is a good version of linux that would be able to run on these platforms? I want to get a wireless card for them so what ever linux I decide to use has to have some compatability for wireless cards. Mainly be using it to get on the internet and do word processing and stuff like that. So what do yall think? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 h3llh0l3

h3llh0l3

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:03 PM

I have a question for everyone.... I just got for free 3 good laptops that are in real good shape all are dell's and work good... One is a Pentium I, another is a Pentium II and the last is a Pentium III... What is a good version of linux that would be able to run on these platforms? I want to get a wireless card for them so what ever linux I decide to use has to have some compatability for wireless cards. Mainly be using it to get on the internet and do word processing and stuff like that. So what do yall think? :thumbsup:

Thats not much for info. Could you please fill in more info on the hardware part of it for all your machines. Like RAM, CPU, HDD etc.

#3 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:06 AM

OK...... So I got the specs for the laptops... They are as follows:

Latitude C600 Pentium III 750 MHz
384 MB RAM
Video: ATI M3
Vid Memory: 8 MB
Hard Drive: 10 GB

Latitude CPX H500GT
Pentium III 500 MHz
Video Memory: 8 MB
12 GB Hard Drive

Latitude Pentium I
Ill have to get into the bios somehow but I got most of the stuff
64 MB RAM
4 GB Hard Drive.... Im thinking about actually replacing this HD for something bigger...
Video: Neo Magic Magic Graph 128XD

#4 h3llh0l3

h3llh0l3

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:53 AM

384 MB RAM

Latitude CPX H500GT
Pentium III 500 MHz
12 GB Hard Drive

Latitude Pentium I
64 MB RAM
4 GB Hard Drive.... Im thinking about actually replacing this HD for something bigger...

Ok. I would suggest that you can do a barebone installation of Debian(lenny)[I run Debian on all my PC's]. So the barebone installation would get you CLI. You can later on install the packages that you require. If you need GUI then openbox should be your choice cuz its pretty light. And you have pretty good support for Debian at http://forums.debian.net
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

Slackware, DSL, E17, and Puppy should run on those machines. X/K/Ubuntu. Mandravia and Fedora 's current versions will not. Debian might in a minimal configuration

Posted Image

#6 the_eldergeek

the_eldergeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

I too use Debian but I prefer Etch, the stable version. I put Debian on a Gateway 2000 Desktop unit, 166 MHz MMX, w/128 MB of RAM and a 1.1 GB hard disk drive using the boot floppy image from KateOS to install the Business Card version of Debian (sure, there's a boot floppy image on the Debian CD once you burn the ISO file but it's not as cool as the one in Kate). I then used the command line to install xorg, Fluxbox and Synaptic (call me a wuss, I only use the CLI when I have no other choice). Then I used Synaptic to install a few software apps. Slow, but it works great!

On a 500 MHz machine I'd try PCFluxboxOS, KateOS and PC-BSD , then go with whichever works the best.

The 750 MHz machine is a little challenged for any of the *buntus but I recently had terrific results installing Sidux on a 750 MHz P3 desktop (w/384 MB of RAM). It runs extremely well and is surprisingly fast . Susan Linton. of tuxmachines.org, wrote a good review of Sidux for Linux.com. http://www.linux.com/feature/149400
There's another good post on Sidux here:
http://usalug-org.blogspot.com/2008/12/use...-cool-yule.html
Sidux, because it's based on Debian, should know how to 'borrow' a little system ram to give you better video resolution than you could otherwise get with 8 MB of video RAM.

#7 daklander

daklander

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

384 MB RAM
One of the Puppy versions would work very well but I would probably go with one of the light weight versions of PCLOS such as TinyMe, or a lightweight version of Mepis, AntiX. The latter uses Debian repositories.

Latitude CPX H500GT
Pentium III 500 MHz
12 GB Hard Drive
If you have reasonable ram on this unit the above distros will work as well.

Latitude Pentium I
64 MB RAM
SliTaz for this one.

Though the processor is important the key in how well the lightweight distros are going to work is the amount of ram the computer has. The more memory the better the box is going to work.

Edited by daklander, 04 January 2009 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users