Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft in last stage before releasing XP SP2

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:53 PM

Microsoft has just made available XP SP2 for their MSDN subscribers so that developers can download it and test it with their applications

They also state that it will be available as a general download soon. So expect to see this important download available in the very near future. When it is out we will cover the new features and functions that can be found in it and how you can benefit from installing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:04 PM

I'm on dial up, will they be offering a CD for the upgrade? No way I can download 80 MB, it would be obsolete before I got it all. :thumbsup: THX

#3 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:04 PM

will it be a free dl for xp users? or just for registered users? or will it be like other windows software, you pay for the upgrade? do we know yet???

i know, nag, nag, nag....!!!!

damgud :thumbsup:

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:05 PM

Sp2 will be free just like sp1 was and all the hotfixes. See all these problems are windows fault. So they come out wiht pacthes and what not but they are free! The download is!

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

I sure hope theres a cd 80mb! I got a good download manager so i just do part by part and leave on over night?? Might take me a week!

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:49 PM

No it wont take ya 2 days! Over night maybe proble take about5 to 6 hours

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

i have sp1 like all or almost all the other people but what will sp2 do that sp1 wont? What will it help me?

#8 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

Well 6 hours download would be 13.33 MB per hour. I'd be lucky to get half that. If I don't get a disk I can't upgrade. :thumbsup:

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

Well i dont see what it will help me!! Anyone can tell me a good reason to upgrade? I could get about 10mb a hour!

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:20 PM

There will be significant security enhancements. Its also very important for people who are byuing new computers as now they will have a built-in firewall that actually does a decent job protecting you

#11 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:13 AM

While developers at Microsoft may be celebrating that they finished work on Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP (news - web sites), information technology departments around the world now are questioning whether or when they should update their systems.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...97&sid=95612683

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

I have a firewall so will i even need this? Besides safety what can sp2 be used for to help my pc?

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

I use sp2, and you can turn off the firewall, it is going to pacth alot of holes in windows just like sp1 did. It makes sure you have a virus scanner running and tells you if you dont etc.. It is different for each user! Some people had problems with sp1 and will have problems with sp2. I had problems with the first install of sp2 but good thing is you can archive it and uninstall it then reinstall it! Just try it out when the official version comes out! I dont think Beta is available any more. My pc's run smoother (at least by windows standerds) :thumbsup: after the sp2 installed correctly!

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2004 - 09:00 AM

Yep i think i will wait until they put it on their site! Thats way i know its ready for use!

#15 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:45 AM

Took the plunge and installed it on my main workstation at work today, after having used the betas on secondary workstations.

Interesting to note, the Windows Security Center doesn't work (is disabled) if you're on a domain.

It's definately worth getting for the subtle differences. Most of them you wont see, unless you actually look, but they will keep your computer more stable and secure.

As a general rule tho, for the non-technical, I would recommend waiting a month or so to let all the major bugs get worked out. And make sure you backup your data before you do it.

Back up your data anyway. =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users