Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protectdisc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Xiggie

Xiggie

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

I noticed a program on my add/remove programs list that I am unfamiliar with. It is protectdisc driver version 11. What is this? It says it is from protect software GmbH. I have tried to research this but am not sure where it would come from. It doesn't seem to be linked to any other software on my computer and I surely didn't install it on my computer by itself. Can someone tell me what it is and what it does?

Xiggie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

See for yourself, http://www.protectdisc.com/index.html

Louis

#3 Xiggie

Xiggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Yes, I have been there to look at that. It is the first site that comes up on yahoo search about it. But how did it end up on my computer? Does anyone know any software that it commonly comes with? Or is it essential to run anything on windows?

Xiggie

#4 Softgrider

Softgrider

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

Yes, I have been there to look at that. It is the first site that comes up on yahoo search about it. But how did it end up on my computer? Does anyone know any software that it commonly comes with? Or is it essential to run anything on windows?

Xiggie

It's usually from a copy protected CD/DVD of some sort. I've been having to deal with it where I work, as my main body of clients are not administrators of the machines they're using. The one in particular is a disk from McGraw-Hill, called Anatomy & Physiology Revealed 2.0. To use the disk, users must either be administrators of the machines, or an admin has to log in, insert the disk, and click the Accept button on the license agreement.
So, all in all, it's safe to remove, but if you use something strait from a CD again such as what we're using here, you'll see it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users