Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD During WinXP Install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JoeyRoland

JoeyRoland

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Hello,

My parents' old PC kind of crapped out this fall and they just bought a new Dell Studio 540 this weekend. But it came with Windows Vista. Since they'd rather not get familiar with that operating system, I pulled out their WindowsXP Professional CD and booted off that. When setup began copying files to the HD for installation, a BSOD appeared.

When they first bought this WinXP CD, I made a backup that I've actually used before. I tried from both disks - but no luck.

Towards the bottom of the screen, it says:

*** pci.sys - Address F74BE0BF base at F7487000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

I'm not too sure if that actually means anything though. Ideally, since this PC is just out of the box, I was going to format everything and install XP. While I booted from the CD, should I maybe use Kill Disk first? But any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

You did delete the Vista partition...before trying to install XP?

Is this a Microsoft XP Pro CD? Or a restore/recovery disk? From what system, what was the old PC (manufacturer/model)?

If these are recovery/restore disks...the STOP error is probably caused because you are trying to load the wrong video drivers to the system.

But...pci.sys seems to be a Windows file.

Worth reading: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=76039

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 December 2008 - 11:57 AM.

#3 JoeyRoland

JoeyRoland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for the fast reply hamluis! I'm thinking that link will work! I'm in the same boat as all of them in that its a SATA drive. While I didn't remove Vista first, I was using the orginal XP Pro install CD, (retail version).

Right now, I'm running Kill Disk on the whole hard disk and then following it up with the instructions from that link.

Thanks again and I'll post back with the results!

#4 JoeyRoland

JoeyRoland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

So far - knock on wood - I'm good! I used nLite to slipstream Service Pack 2 into my original CD. After running Kill Disk all afternoon, the XP install got further this time and is currently formating the HD.

Thanks again!!!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

You are very welcome, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users