Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i install any video card, sound card, etc into my comp.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 korky122

korky122

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

i have a windows me and it sucks for gaming. can i go out to best buy or over the internet and buy any video card, graphics card, sound card, etc and install it into my comp. it also needs a new hard drive b/c it is small. 40gigs. if so can some one help me.

(Mod edit: moved to more appropriate forum.jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 11 May 2005 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:51 PM

It is not the operating system at fault, but inadequate hardware, most likely the video card. You can certainly install either a new hard drive or simply add another one, and purchase another video card if compatible.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 korky122

korky122
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:33 PM

how do i know if they are compatable.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

Hi korky122 and welcome to BC

In order to know what might be compatible you need to know what you have to start adding to. Download Everest Home Edition. This will give you a complete picture of the components in your system. Once you know what motherboard you have you can take it from there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:21 PM

Your system manual will tell you what upgrades are possible for your computer. If you don't have it, and you bought it from one of the bigger computer makers, the manual will be on their website.

Not sure how old your computer is, but sometimes it is wiser to buy a brand new computer VS upgrading an older one. Lots of places, at least around here, are selling upgrade computers for a few hundred bucks.

If you are into gaming you probably want a higher end computer.

Joshuacat
JC

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:16 PM

Dear korky,

What games are you trying or want to play?

In the long run if you want to play a wide assortment of games you will have to buy a new computer.

Upgrading from where you are will cost you more in the long run.

There are a lot of great computers out there that will cost you less than an upgrade.

Maybe you want to try to build a computer or you are an expert in computers. Well thats great but beware of the pitfalls.

I have built several regular computers but I am having serious issues with my gaming computer (Heating).

Going into gaming has been a nightmare. Sure I get awesome graphics, speed, but I pay in heat issues.

Compatibility is the worst nightmare for any computer builder. It takes serious research to build a computer today.

Just look at the posts you see here. :thumbsup:

Of course we will help you to build any computer you want.

I would buy a workable computer so you can fool around on the internet (eMachines complete $700 or such), then dabble in the gaming world slowly by researching on building a second computer.

It might take some time but you will not be too frustrated when your gaming computer goes down when you have a workable computer.

Just a suggestion, :flowers:

Let us know,

junkdk :trumpet:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users