Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Registry Key

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daays

daays

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

When going and manually removing some maleware (tdsserv, karna) I was following some instructions on exterminate-it.com and it told me to delete

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks

However, after reading more site info, it appears I should have deleted values in the key and not the key itself.

Is it possible to restore the key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Are there any adverse effects from deleting it?

Have you rebooted the system to see if it is automatically replaced?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

If you can open Windows try doing a System Restore. Choose a date prior to any changes that you made to the registry.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 daays

daays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

If you can open Windows try doing a System Restore. Choose a date prior to any changes that you made to the registry.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Unfortunately when ridding the virus I had to turn off system restore and it wiped my restore points.

The latest one I have is after I made the change.

I'm thinking the only thing left is to reinstal

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:53 AM

Rather than reinstalling the operating system try doing a repair installation.

Because there is always a chance that data may be lost you should back up your important files and applications that you don't have installation discs for to a removable media.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users