Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Win 98 Crashed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Imanuel4u

Imanuel4u

• Banned
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hello

I have Windows 98 in my PC and it crashed, the only way that I can reboot is with a start up disk. I get this message " Windows 98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or Fat32 partition. The tools that are on the start up disk seem to load to the hard drive but I can not get any of them to work. At the DOS prompt when I enter SYSC I get the error message "no fixed disk present".

Please Help
Thanks in Advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:21 AM

You may have a bad hard drive.
Listen to it closely and see if it is making a rythmic clicking sound kind of like a clock. If it is, replace the drive.
Also try opening the case, with the system off and unplugged. Push on all the ribbon cables and power leads on both the drive and motherboard sides. Maybe one is loose
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

At the DOS prompt when I enter SYSC I get the error message "no fixed disk present".

I don't know if thats a typo but Sysc shouldn't do anything that I know of. It should be Sys c: meaning you want to transfer the system files to c: Your better of doing this from a bootable floppy with sys.com on it. You can also put Scandisk on the floppy to do a full scan of c: :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users