Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

confused, xp will not boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 streakybacon

streakybacon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

hello, and thanks in advance for any help.
alright, computer was running slow, checked standard things, defrag, virus issue. ran chkdsk /r, and now system will not boot. it will boot in safe mode just fine, and every hardware test i run is showing that everything is ok. ran chkdsk again, shows no issues. ran fixboot and fixmbr. no help. restored back to earlier point from safe mode, still with no luck. i have tried absolutely everything that i can think of to no avail. any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hi streakybacon,

Please find your boot.ini file under C:
Open it with notepad, make a copy of the contents and paste them in here.
Close it without saving to ensure there weren't any changes to it.

Zllio

#3 streakybacon

streakybacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

yeah, i thought of that after i posted last night, so i rebuilt it with bootcfg /rebuild. but here it is:

[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:39 AM

Did rebuilding resolve the problem?

#5 streakybacon

streakybacon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

no it did not. played with some options in the boot.ini file, with no real changes. back to where i started again.

#6 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

To me it sounds like a bad service/program running at startup is creating the problem.

I would advocate how to do this but it seems as though most of my suggestions are frowned upon.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

Well...I've thought of a way (which I might use) to find out which driver aborts the boot...but it will be very slow and require patience. Assuming that it is a driver issue causing the boot failure.

You can boot into Safe Mode and download/install AutoRuns for Windows v9.35, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Of the various tabs which will display once installed, there is a Drivers tab. There are lots of drivers which load or attempt to load with each boot, although many users seem to think there are just a few. You disable various individual drivers or groups of drivers in Safe Mode...reboot and see if you have The Guilty One. You can do this as long as it takes.

Without an error message indicating which is the troublesome file, I don't see another way.

Louis

#8 scissorhands7

scissorhands7

• Banned
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Don't most drivers start in safemode?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

I don't know about "most", but I do know that the video driver doesn't load...which is why we get the crappy 800x600 resolutions provided by the Windows default.

I've never seen a list of exactly what loads and what doesn't, only generalities.

FWIW: http://www.geocities.com/asoke_dasgupta/boot-xp.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users