Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting DID NOT work...i have few questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 boobaloo

boobaloo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

ok guys. my computer is f*****. it takes an hour to bring up my documents. i did a system recovery but when i booted back up i still had many of the same files, and the computer had the same problems. so no luck there. i am going to do a complete hard drive wipe. here is my only concern. i know if i reformat then windows is still there for me to install. but if i do i total wipe, what happens to XP? how do i get it back? i have no discs because XP came with my computer. but i do have a regristration key on the side of my computer. so, getting down to it, heres what im asking. what (free) program should i use to wipe the drive and how can i keep or "re-get" windows XP home edition. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 loccrash1big

loccrash1big

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

I found this on the net....

Creating a Windows XP boot disk

Note: The Microsoft Windows XP CD is a bootable CD and in many cases you should not need a bootable floppy diskette. Booting from the Windows XP CD will allow you to not only install/re-install Windows XP but will also allow you to troubleshoot it.

Create MS-DOS bootable diskette

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

Place diskette in the computer.

Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.

In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

Click Start

Create Windows XP Setup diskettes

Microsoft is beginning to phase out bootable floppy diskettes in favor of bootable CD discs and has not included a method of easily creating a bootable floppy diskette in Windows XP or from the CD. However, Microsoft has downloads available for users who still need to create bootable diskettes to install (not upgrade) Windows XP. These downloads can be found through KB310994.

Additional help and information about troubleshooting bootable CDs not booting is found on document CH000217.

How to use a boot diskette

Once the bootable diskette has been successfully created, following the below steps you will be able to boot from the diskette.

1. Place the diskette into write-protect mode (in case a virus is on the computer, this will not allow the virus to transfer itself onto the diskette).
2. Insert the diskette into the computer and reset or turn on the computer to begin the boot process.
3. As the computer is booting, answer the questions prompted (if any).
4. Once at the A:\> take the appropriate actions depending upon the situation of the computer.
5. If you are unfamiliar with MS-DOS we recommend you see our MS-DOS page.

Hope this helps!

#3 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

yeah thanks this helps me a bit

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

If you have a valid key...you should be able to borrow or burn a copy of the same version (Home for Home or Pro for Pro) of XP and do a clean install with your valid license/key.

Alternately...if you have a boxmaker (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc.) system, then you need to try to get recovery/restore disks from the manufacturer of the system. Information on such is usually included in the owner's manual and/or the website.

Louis

#5 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

thanks for the replies guys. to the dude who pmed me, i wolud check and post the answers you requested, but my computer is running so badly at the moment that it is impossible for me to do so. and to hamluis, i think i mmight do that. it seems like a good idea. in the event that i cant find a xp pro install disk, where would i get the requirements to burn one?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Not sure I understand the question.

What "requirements" to burn a CD? There aren't any, other than to have a copy of a valid XP Pro CD...anyone can burn a copy of a CD.

I feel like I'm being dense, but...clarify what you mean, please :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:16 PM

yeah my bad i worded that pretty weird. i thought you meant that i could could get the files on the computer and just burn it from there. so did you mean that or did you mean i need to BURN A COPY of another cd?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Burn a copy of another CD.

Louis

#9 boobaloo

boobaloo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

ok. gotcha. but worst case scenario, i cant get a CD. what then?

#10 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

If you cant borrow a cd, you gotta buy one. Look on ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users