Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Permissions in McAfee still exist for programs listed as gone?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

Last winter I had a Malware attack. Through the great help I received here all problems were successfully dealt with. I have McAfee Security Center and keep the subscription active. Although this was not adequate to fully protect me ( Quite a surprise at the time!) it did blunt the attack sufficiently so we could eventually correct it.
I have noticed though when reviewing the permissions section of security center there are quite a few enters that have full or out bound access although it says that program no longer exists.
Some I recognize such as spybot152.tmp others I have no idea what they are but the date is around the time of the Malware attack such as XRUN.EXE or XPRE.EXE
I am wondering that even though the program or Malware itself has been removed is there a chance that permissions granted at that time could make a future attack easier??
Is there any potential disadvantage to checking off “Remove Program Permission” for programs that are listed as no longer existing??
Also I have the McAfee Firewall set to “ Tight”. Would anyone have any comments as to the adequacy of this setting?
Thanks in advance
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi
Any advice about the Permission question shown in original post would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nawtheasta

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

I have noticed though when reviewing the permissions section of security center there are quite a few enters that have full or out bound access although it says that program no longer exists.

As these programs no longer exist, it is quite safe to remove (delete) these permissions. You can find further info on anything listed in Program Permissions by highlighting an entry and clicking Learn More located in the bottom right corner of the screen (see image below).

Posted Image

Also I have the McAfee Firewall set to “ Tight”. Would anyone have any comments as to the adequacy of this setting?

Generally, the more restrictive a security level (Stealth and Tight), the greater the number of options and alerts that are displayed and which, in turn, must be handled by you. I have my own Firewall set to Stealth.

See HERE for more info (click on image to enlarge).

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by RedDawn, 10 December 2008 - 06:45 PM.

#4 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Red Dawn for the input. Apparently once the program no longer exists the only option available is to “Remove Program Permission”. The other items in the Action box including “Learn More” stay grayed out even when an item is clicked on.
I was thinking of setting firewall to stealth. It seems that you have not found this setting cumbersome or overly restrictive?
I have been hyper paranoid since recovering from a malware attack last winter. I try to be sure that a site is legit before opening. Unfortunately when I upgraded Firefox to 3.0.4 McAfee site adviser stopped working. I have been hoping that McAfee would have some sort of patch to address this but up to now I am unaware of one.
Thanks
Nawtheasta

#5 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

You can go ahead and select Remove Program Permission for any entry that states the program no longer exists, this will delete that entry as it is no longer needed.

For your McAfee SiteAdvisor problem, HERE is the link to McAfee's SiteAvdvisor Forum. You may find a solution there.

Take care. :thumbsup:

Edited by RedDawn, 10 December 2008 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users