Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something bogging comp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

ok so I've got fallout 3 and Lost Planet Extreme condition, both of which I have read and have reccomended system reqs. However, without warning and without aparrent cause sometimes my framerate will drop from 30 to 4-5 instantly and stay that way for about 5 minutes before switching back, this is just plain random, sometimes I'll get it while killing super mutants or sometimes when I'm just walking around with nothing in sight. I have been told by my dad that no reformats are allowed on his computer (he might lose precious emails) I have defragged about 6 times but every time i run it it is always 20-25% fragged( might be the problem) and I ran disk celanup not exactly sure what's up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 speedbird76

speedbird76

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Could be
A. Some app starting up and running in the background occasionally? Are you using Vista? Could be the Indexing or Superfetch running while the game is active. In theory, these should not cause problems since they run as low priority tasks and should not affect other apps, but reality may be slightly different, as I've learned on Vista. If it's XP then I'd look more at other programs that are running in the system tray to see if they run randomly such as anti-virus software updating itself, or scanning files.
B. Heat? Are the CPU and GPU fans running smoothly? Are the CPU/GPU temps normal?

JMT.

Edited by speedbird76, 05 December 2008 - 07:50 AM.

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

What are your computer specs?

Fallout I find is very memory intensive and constantly thrashes on your Hardrive. ( Not literaly ) You said when your fighting supermutants or something. The outside world to Fallout only has 1 load time then while you're walking around it'll load them while running. That's what I think is giveing you the framerate drops.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users