Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

I read that non-branded Chinese manufactured power supply units were a false economy as when they go they can spike the main board & take it with it. But trying to find a branded replacement that has a standard backplate but is shorter bodied to fit my micro-ATX case is proving very difficult. I thought they'd all be moving towards miniaturisation?

My local computer shop thought all power supplies could go branded or non-branded, but I thought they had a fail safe against over voltage?

What do you reckon?
ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Any PSU can fail in such a way as to damage other components. After all, when a PSU fails, it is in a faulty condition - there's no guarantee that over-voltage protection measures are still able to function in the face of every possible fault.

However, cheaply made power supplies are simply more likely to fail, more likely to fail catastrophically, and unlikely to have any protective mechanisms to try to avoid further damage to the system components.

That said, I've had cheap generic PSUs that came fitted to cheap generic cases fail gracefully (eg fail to start up due to bad capacitors), and the system continue to work perfectly with a new generic (eg Codegen) or good secondhand PSU.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users