Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MissKalunji

MissKalunji

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Ok i'm new hopefully i'm posting in the right forum.

Here's my situation

My Computer isn't starting....

I think it's my power supply (because the day before i was hearing a sizzling noise) and it just *pouf* turned off on it's on and when i press the start button nothing happens and i did smell something burning and the smell came from the power supply. I didn't think it could be my motherboard it never gave me any kind of sign besides obviously getting slow (1gb wasn't enough for what iw as doing)

My Computer is a clone about 4 years old asus P5LD2 with 1 gb memory Geforce 7600 etc etc

Now How would i be able to find out if its ONLY my power supply the problem. I (read) power supply messes up other things sometimes... but i'm not sure what to do? buy another power supply? What are the steps i should take to find out?

In My position should i just build a whole new one? or what?

I do use a lot of my computer...from design,coding..mixing music etc...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MissKalunji, 04 December 2008 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:03 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I would assume the power supply went. The thing is, I can't be sure that the motherboard wasn't take with it, maybe your hard drive, ram, etc.

You should see if you can borrow a power supply (make sure the main connector has the right amount of pins for your motherboard, either 20-pin or 24-pin some), and see if the system still works. If the computer is still having some problems, then the motherboard probably went, and it may or may not be really worth fixing at that point.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 MissKalunji

MissKalunji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:29 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

I would assume the power supply went. The thing is, I can't be sure that the motherboard wasn't take with it, maybe your hard drive, ram, etc.

You should see if you can borrow a power supply (make sure the main connector has the right amount of pins for your motherboard, either 20-pin or 24-pin some), and see if the system still works. If the computer is still having some problems, then the motherboard probably went, and it may or may not be really worth fixing at that point.

Ok Cool I'll try that out i don't think i have anyone to borrow from tho.... :thumbsup: i guess i could try buying...should i hook up the computer fully or just the main area to see if it works?

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

You'll have to have the video, memory and CPU installed, to be able to check it properly. You don't need any drives attached just to see if it can post.

If you could pull out your power supply and take it to a computer shop, you could get it tested (maybe?). Or, there are testers that run only about $15-30 but being as you would only use it once, it is hard to justify the spending.

Good luck.

#5 MissKalunji

MissKalunji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

Ok i ended up to buy one (and brought it back) the pc does turn on but the screen stays blank (like there was no signal) and no beeping to signal that maybe another item was missing and not placed wrong

1. I tested the video card in another computer and it does work
2. I tested the memory card (even tho it should have beeped) and it's working as well
3. The Cpu fan isn't working (but the cpu seems to be working cause it was getting warmer)
4. The light on the motherboard does turn on.

So i've read other places that it coudl be either

1. My motherboard
2. My Cpu
3. The battery ?

I did plug everything properly as (even the hd, fans floppy rw) like i said the motherboard light did turn red.

I'm not too sure where i can test my cpu cause the other pc is not a clone but one from acer. I brought back the power supply for now since it didn't fix my problem.

What do you think it might be?

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

I doubt very much the battery is at fault, so that leaves the CPU and the Motherboard.

Normally, the CPU is pretty sturdy, unless you were overclocking or something like that. :huh:

The Motherboard is the most likely cuplrit. Now you need to figure is it worth it to invest in another MB? And you would need to get exactly the same as before unless you want to reinstall everything, which I don't believe you do.

You have done everything you can. :thumbsup: Here is a listing on ebay, if you want to attempt a replacement. Not a bad price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-P5LD2-WiFi-LGA775...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Good luck.

DR

#7 MissKalunji

MissKalunji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

That's what i've heard the cpu usually doesn't fry. ah well.

That's Really nice of you :thumbsup: thank you!

and thanks everyone else for the help!

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 08 December 2008 - 08:40 PM.

#8 MissKalunji

MissKalunji
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Here's another question could the MB not working cause the CPU fan from working?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Are you telling us that the fan on the CPU isn't spinning?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users