Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The registry cannot load the hive on startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 krakow100

krakow100

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hello,

I have been having problems with my husbands computer for almost 2 weeks. I am sorry if I am giving you too much info but, I do not want to assume what is important and what isn't.

Laptop:
HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv9033cl
Win XP Media Center - updates are current

Antivirus/Spyware Software:
Lavasoft Adaware - updated and running clean
Spybot - updated and running clean
Panda Global Protection - updated couple of low threat cookie adware (will talk about later)
Panda ActiveScan 2.0 - updated a running clean

How problem started:
The weekend before Thanksgiving I paid and updated to Global Protection my panda subscription. It found a 2Search adware but, only notified me of it. The program did not try to fix it. Per Pandas Virus Encyclopedia it advised to use Active Scan. I ran it and found that now I need to buy it to fix problems. So, that is what I did. Long story short it was Wednesday of last week before Panda gave me a backdoor link to get it working because the site said my login and password did not work. At any rate, I fixed the problems it found. 2Search was not one of them. Since then Panda Global Protection sometimes finds 2 different low level threats at different times that I run it. I can not find it in my notes what the second one is. I think it may be Atwola but that may have been on my laptop.

This weekend Internet explorer started having problems. Sometimes it started and at other times it froze after starting the homepage. If you closed it and reopened IE it usually worked.

Yesterday, I decided to reformat the computer. I made the system restore disks and copied all data off it. My husband used it last night and it worked fine.

This morning I stuck in Disk 1 and got the following error after choosing "F" to format:

Stop: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The Registry cannot load the hive (file):
\systemroot\system32\config\sam
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent or not writable

This error happens even if I boot up without system restore disks in drive or if I do "R" for recovery. I also tried to use a clean XP Home disk and got the same error. I went into BIOS and ran the Diagnostic program on the Primary and Secondary Hard drive. It said "00Pass" both times, which I hope means the HD is OK.

I have printed from MS website several fixes, but I can not get to a DOS prompt or recovery console to do them.

I have no idea what to do from here.

Thank you,

Tricia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Related reading: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

I suggest downloading a diagnostic from the website of the hard drive respective manufactuer (for the drive you are trying to format/restore/recover) and running it. Long test if a long and short are offered.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 December 2008 - 05:57 PM.

#3 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for responding!

That is one of the articles I printed. It all should be compatible because it is factory installed. I would love to run check disk but I can not get to a dos prompt. I also am unable to get to recovery console from a XP Home disk or the disk I made from this computer yesterday. I ran a diagnostic check on primary on secondary in BIOS which said "00Pass" this morning.

Is this a problem that I need to take to a shop to have the hard drive checked? Or is there some way I can check & fix it on my end.

Thanks again,

Tricia

#4 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

Also, I have no idea who manufactured the HD. I have the original box and it doesn't say anything. Regarding the link you provided.... can I down load it onto a disk on key and run it without windows booting up? If not, then I need my hand held because I don't know what to do.

Is it possible to go to HP website and see if I can get a list of factory installs on the model? But I don't know how trust worthy that is since the computer is a couple of years old.

Thanks,

Tricia

Edited by krakow100, 04 December 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#5 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

OK, I went to HP website and looked up the Hard drive based and model number and I confirmed the Product number was correct. This is what it said:

Hard drive - 200 GB 5400 RPM Dual Hard Drive (2x100 GB) (SATA)

From that can you tell the manufacturer name?

Thanks again for everything,

Tricia

#6 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:59 PM

I tried to do a Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS because it didn't specify a manufacturer. It doesn't work. It did recommend using Nero or CD EZ creator. I do not have either program. I used the Windows function on my Vista laptop.

I will keep researching.

Tricia

#7 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

Update:

I went to HP website to see if it had a diagnostic tool. It recommends using the one in BIOS. I have used it on both drive and it said "00Pass" earlier today. Should I run it again?

Tx

Tricia

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

Most of the fixes for this type of error refer to a hard disk problem - but there's a lot of other stuff involved when doing this.
- hard disk
- memory
- installation media
- other hardware issues (primarily motherboard and CPU)

Try testing the hard drive with a bootable diagnostic from the manufacturer. This topic has links to several of the more common one's: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/ Also, you may want to try the SeaGate SeaTools diagnostic - as it can also check the hard drive controller on the motherboard.

Try a bootable memory diagnostic (free here: http://www.memtest86.com/

I'd think that the CD/DVD media was OK since you get the same error with different disks.
Let us know the results of the tests and we'll move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for the help by the way.

The following is what I have done or found out since like I said I have no idea what the brand name is for the hard drive:

Belarc - works only in windows

Everest - doesn't work from boot/dos per website

Data Advisor - have no idea if it is a fat system, NTFS or HPFS... so I didn't try it

Data Lifeguard - Didn't work after setup (where you can F10 to Bios) it shows HP breifly then goes to blue screen error regarding Registry file Failure / Hive error

Seatools - Didn't work.... like above

Memtest86 - Didn't work.... like above

If I unscrew one of the panels can I find out the brand name? I sort of feel like that doesn't even matter now. Another thing I am willing to try is I have a 2 year old hard drive from my compaq. It should be fine... it was the motherboard that went out on it. (This is listed in a problem on this website under my name) I could put it in this machine and run diagnostics to check the other things on your list.

The only other thought I have is the 2 drives this computer appears to have (from what the hp website says). I am thinking and typing out loud..... but, 1 drive has windows setup on it and the other is c: ????? Do you think that maybe trying to reformat from the computer made disk messed something up??? I figured I was OK from disk that the computer made. I have reformat many computers but never one that had too separate drives rather that a partition.

I do not want to even pretend that I know what to do... I worked in the industry a few years ago and things have changed alot since then. I wasn't an expert outside of my companies software anyway. LOL

Thanks again,

Tricia

Edited by krakow100, 04 December 2008 - 09:54 PM.

#10 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Alright.... I have figured out that it is a Fujitsu MHV2100BH PL drive! (I found it totally by accident!) Then I went to Fujitsu website and had to break down the code to figure out which utility to use. It still did not work.

Thanks,

Tricia

Edited by krakow100, 04 December 2008 - 11:59 PM.

#11 krakow100

krakow100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

Just a quick update....

The adware that Panda GP found from the first posting was PPCToolbar.

I am going to take the computer to a repair place and will post any resolutions.

Thanks for everything!!

Tricia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users