Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics drivers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

So I'm running on pretty out-dated graphics drivers, the 91.47 version to be exact. Last time I tried to update, I got a BSoD about some IRQL problem which I couldn't fix so I had to format. The games I have say (in the manual) that I should have the latest drivers and some even say the latest drivers help fix some glitches in the game. I also heard that updated drivers improve the graphics of games. So I'm wondering if it really is recommended to upgrade? And if I do upgrade and get the IRQL BSoD problem, is there a way to isolate the cause? My specs if you need them:

Asus A7N8X
AMD Athlon 2600+ 1.9 Ghz
1 GB DDR Ram
Nvidia GeForce 7600GT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

The general advice is to use up-to-date drivers, but not necessarily an untried immediate release, and avoid beta release drivers unless they have a feature you absolutely need.

The current WHQL certified driver version for XP is Ver 178.24, which was released mid-October, so if it had glitches there should have been time for them to be discovered and a corrective release issued.

Another approach is to update to the most recent driver offered by the manufacturer of the video card, on the assumption that it will at minimum have been thoroughly tested with the card. Many manufacturers however simply provide or link to the current nVidia reference drivers, which is fine if the card is made according to the reference design.

If you overclock, return the system to standard spec before installing new drivers.

If you are still concerned about possibly experiencing an unrecoverable error state, several hard drive manufacturers offer free drive backup software (eg for their drives, Seagate provide DiskWizard, a limited version of Acronis TrueImage), you may consider creating a restorable image of the system drive in its current state before updating.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

I never go with ANYTHING beta, and that includes drivers. As for backing things up, I have everything I need either on a CD or on my flash drive. But there's no way to narrow down what is causing the IRQL problem if it happens again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users