Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the Pro/pay version better than the free?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

Just as a general rule and without getting to specific programs.

Most of the free AV programs also offer a pay version. Is the pay version better? That is, does it do a better job of blocking viruses? Or are you just paying for added features?

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

You mostly pay for added features. In some programs, the free version does not include email scanning. Or the support for the product may be limited. Pay versions will include both.
One way to find out what pro vs. free differences are is to use the side-by-side charts most of them have. Then make your decision based on what you feel it's important to have.

IF you decide to go with a paid version, see if it has a free trial. Install it, use it. Is it user friendly?
User interface simple and easy to navigate? How often is it updated? Does it have any negative impact on your system? It won't take long to find out if it's something you want to purchase. If it is, wait until the trial period is almost up. A lot of times, you will be able to purchase it at a discounted price.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 December 2008 - 11:52 AM.

#3 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

Thanks. I wasn't sure if pay was stronger than free

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users