Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE has encountered a problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:10 AM

when i go to google video i get this error or when i click on mail in hotmail i get the error.....i have researched and done all i have learned so far such as internet options, add-ons etc etc..... i did go to majorgeeks.com and used their protocaol for cleaning....along with 5 sugested downloads and scans which did find stuff and made the problem worse...(couldnt get online at all) eventually after no responce from them i deleted all 5 programs and logs which got me back to the original problem. although i was also gettn a BSOD on occasion which i believe has subsided....i hope. i also installed IE 8 beta which didnt fix the problem so i went back to IE7.....is this a simple setting that i've overlooked or more serious which i am leaning more towards.....Im using a dell dimension 8300 - windows XP - zonealarm - bitdefender(that since the 5 scans nolonger starts up in the system tray) please im no computer wiz so let me know of anyother info i need to post.....this has been going on bout 3 monthes or more......thanks for your help!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:07 PM

Any error messages or blue screens you receive, please copy and paste them here, word for word.
----------------------------------------

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

ok.....the error i get is....IE has encountered a problem and needs to close...sorry for the inconvience.........
Error Signature
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer:7.7.6000.16735 ModName: urlmon.dll
MoodVer:7.0.6000.16735 Offset: 0001fd3b

As i installed the scanner this popped up........
Error writing to registry key:
HKKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
RegSetValueEx failed; Code 5.
Access is denied ..............................i chose to ignore and i did have to manually download the updates.......thank you very much for your help.....i appreciate it. i believe this was one of the programs that MajorGeeks suggested.....and im not sure which ones found/deleted anything....wish i would have kept those logs but since the computer became unusable i deleted it all

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1456
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

12/5/2008 6:28:33 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-05 (18-28-33).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 52089
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

I removed the Combofix log as it is not to be used in this particular forum
Using Combofix unsupervised can cause unrepairable damage
Another thing to note is you should be aware using a Beta version of anything is a risk. It is not ready for public release. In fact the authors depend on the users to find and report the bugs, but in the meantime it can hose your system

The log is as clean as a whistle
It seems like urlmon.dll could be the culprit. I would take a look at these articles

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/28/i...e-to-urlmondll/

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
4. Type FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
6. Type an asterisk symbol (*), and then press ENTER.

Note The asterisk symbol (*) represents any process name that uses Urlmon.dll. If you want to make this change for an individual application that uses Urlmon.dll, you can use the name of that application instead of the asterisk symbol (*). For example, you can use Appname.exe.
7. Right-click the asterisk symbol (*), and then click Modify.
8. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
9. Exit Registry Editor.

An easier workaround is to simply download and execute the iekb942367.reg file to insert the missing registry value.

Also
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935544

Edited by garmanma, 05 December 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

hi....i manually changed the registry from the first link.......still have the problem........as for the second link. i did not find this registry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\UseCoInstall" .........its seems to be for windows 2000......should i add this registry, if so...how
thx for the advise....that was my first and last time to use any beta products......i was just hoping to fix the problem....but i see how that is the wrong way to go about it.......also....what is MyWebEx?
thanks again....i'll check back in the morning......have a good night!

#6 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

also wanted to add that everytime i now have to manually open Bitdefender (maybe its already running but its not in the system tray) i have to "fix" Identity Control....from disabled to enable.
I also found written down the BSOD i was getting every nowandthen but not since the cleaning and scans from majorgeeks.......

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF7A38BEF)
NDIS.sys - Address F7A38BEF base at F7A22000, datestamp 41107ec3
BCCode: 100000d1 BCP1: 00000008 BCP2: 00000002 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: F7A38BEF
OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 768_1

dont have a clue....but thats what i had written.....I also use Zone Alarm free, Ad-aware 6 , Spybot-search and destroy, and A-squared Free.......and i have run CCleaner thats all i can think of right now...as i have a bad memory.....thanks again!!!!
I tried to do a system restore a week ago but that doesn't work nor can i manually update microsoft without IE crashing.....it was a long process to update from SP2 to SP3....which didnt really change anything to my knowledge

Edited by robertlasiter77, 06 December 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL usually means a hardware issue or a driver for the hardware. Your error:
STOP 0x000000D1 IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL NDIS.sys
Has to do with your LAN/network device. Read this thread:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...-sys-error.html

I'm moving this to our Networking forum
Mark
Posted Image

#8 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

i appreciate your advise......the BSOD has not occured in a long time.......i believe the cleaning and scans suggested from majorgeeks has stopped this from occuring......the main problem i am cosistantly having is with IE encoumtering a problem and needs to close.......

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

I'll redirect you there
Mark
Posted Image

#10 robertlasiter77

robertlasiter77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

sorry if i appear impatient....just making sure theirs not something im suppose to do....i was redirected to this section from "am i infected" section
anyone have a clue?

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Start a new topic and I'll remove this one
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users