Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

New Citibank Phishing Email Surfaces

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 April 2004 - 02:46 PM

Posted Image

Phishing is a tactic that Internet criminals use to lure you into posting sensitive information such as bank accounts and social security numbers on sites that you believe are valid, but really belong to the criminals.

There is a new phishing email, one that I just received, that pretends to be from Citibank saying there was a database problem and that you need to update your information. When you go to the site, it looks like Citibanks site with a popup that belongs to the criminals site. When you enter information into this popup, that information will go to the criminal and not Citibank. Below is a screenshot of the email I received.

Posted Image

Just wanted to warn our members so they do not fall to these tactics. Never input sensitive information at a website you received via an email. Banks will never send you emails such as the one above requesting this type of information.

Be careful, the Internet can be a scary place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phil7

phil7

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2004 - 06:21 AM

Hi.
I just wanted to let people know that there is a simlar email going around stating that it's from the Billing Dept. at Earthlink. It stated that my account needed to be updated immediately or my account would be closed in a few days.
Funny thing, I'm on DSL and pay through my Telephone Companyn not Earthlink. It also had a link for me to click on to "update my account".
Phil7
Iíve learned two things in life: One, there is a God; Two, Iím not Him!

#3 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 05 June 2004 - 12:25 PM

Same thing just came in as if from Verizon.

First tip off is that they address Dear Customer instead of by your name. Anyone you actually do business with would have your name.

When the header was displayed it was addressed to ten different spellings of Bluie.

Unfortunately Verizon does not seem to care. Called them and the "tech?" did not even know what phishing was. Told me to forward it to their Spam control. At least PayPal has a Fraud investigation address.

It is really frightening how easy some of these scams are to set up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users