Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question regarding software keyboards

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alamaxia

Alamaxia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I have a question regarding software-based keyboard entries. The ones I am speaking of are on-screen keyboards that you can type by clicking on the corresponding keys with your mouse.

The only one I have used is the one built into the Playonline Viewer for an MMORPG. This software keyboard was released by the MMORPG developer, Square Enix, as an increased security measure so that keyloggers could not log your keystrokes (due to many accounts being hacked from keylogging trojans). I am wondering how really secure is entering the password with the mouse? Is it possible for a trojan to track the coordinates of your mouse and mouse clicks? If not, are there any universal software-based keyboards that are deemed safe by the security community? I want a better way to enter passwords that cannot be detected by keyloggers if I happen to get one.

I can post a screenshot of the aforementioned keyboard if needed.

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

An alternative might be Neo’s SafeKeys 2008

ADVANTAGES:
Unlike the Windows on-screen keyboard, Neo’s SafeKeys does not translate on-screen key presses to actual key presses (the Windows on-screen keyboard does not protect you against keyloggers)
You don’t use your keyboard (keyloggers cannot record the password)
The utility changes width and height each time, as well as its placement on the screen (to fool mouse-loggers, buttons will always be in different positions each time you use the program)
Nothing is stored in the clipboard (clipboard loggers cannot save the password).
You can use upper-case letters and symbols (such as !@#${}) by pressing the CAP button - no matter how complex your password is, the utility can type it.

NEW FEATURES:
Protection against screen loggers: There are different mouse-entry methods. Some keyloggers take screenshots every time you do a mouse-click. Now you can register on-screen entry by hovering over on-screen buttons.
The on-screen keyboard can be scrambled or changed to the Dvorak layout. In addition, the ‘real’ keyboard entry can match the onscreen layout.
You can hide typed keys in amongst random computer-entered keystrokes.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users