Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Music (Yawn) To Puzzle On

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:39 AM

I love crossword puzzles.
Recently Universal has changed their puzzle and it now comes with a musical background and new graphics.
It is "moody" so you may find yourself nodding off while it is playing. So finish it quickly.

Another find was the Wall Street Journal puzzle. I don't know when it became available online but it is now available. A usually very challenging puzzle. You can play on line or print it out.

I started doing crosswords many years ago after it was suggested it was a good way to keep one's brain from turning to mush. It was also suggested at the time that it was best to be sober. So I quit consuming alcohol and started puzzling and you know what--I can still tell you what day it is and hangovers are a thing of the past. Possibly the only downside was the layoff of a couple of bartenders. I feel no guilt, though.

Universal Crossword link--http://www.uclick.com/client/sut/fcx/

WSJ link--- http://online.wsj.com/edition/resources/ap...le-current.html

USA crossword link--- http://puzzles.usatoday.com/

I use Firefox3 with the NoScript and Adblock Plus addons and view the puzzles without seeing all the ads.

Edited by buddy215, 04 December 2008 - 09:03 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

Wahoooo!! Good for you, buddy!

The cross word puzzle links are great - now, if only I could figure out how to take them to bed with me (without having to buy a laptop)! Thanks so much!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

They can be printed. WSJ usually takes a while, so I do print that one. If the music gets too much, you can shut it off in options.
Have you ever attempted the New York Times Sunday Puzzle? Now there is a real challenge. I rarely complete that one.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

Yes, that pesky New York Times puzzle on Sundays often has me ready to pull my hair out - huge grin! I was buying their crossword puzzle book for the longest time and then decided I must be a masochist :thumbsup: - finally found different ones that are still a challenge but without the mental agony involved.

But these sites are great and, as you said, I can simply print them off - thanks again for being so kind in sharing the sites, buddy!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users