Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Virus theory.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:25 AM

I know they say we shouldn't use more than one Anti Virus, but wouldn't that be a good thing? You would have combined virus definitions for more protection.

Am I wrong with this? Everything seems to work in theory. =P
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Would not most of those definitions be duplicated and just make your system work hard for no benefit?

I guess that an AV with good detection rate such as Avira would give more protection than two with poorer detections combined anyway.

The greater problem seems to be with new and unknown viruses and how to detect and stop those before they can infect your computer.
James

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

In theory, it would. The real problems lies in them conflicting each other.

The post below from a topic made by quietman7 explains it:

Never use more than one anti-virus program. The concern with using more than one is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, sluggish system performance, unresponsive behavior or crash your computer. Further, each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives".

NOTE: Excuse me for the lack of links and other such things. I don't want to figure out all of those BBCodes used....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

Ahh understandable. I wonder if other companies will ever merge their definitions.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

this
http://ask-leo.com/can_i_run_more_than_one...l_should_i.html

I think puts the issue rather nicely

There's nothing at all wrong periodically running an anti-virus scan with more than one anti-virus program. The key here is that it's just a scan - it starts, it scans, and then it's done. There's no opportunity to come in to conflict with another anti-virus program.

BUT

Real time monitoring, on the other hand, is another story. When you install most anti-virus programs they often automatically install and enable their real-time monitors. Running two or more real-time anti-virus monitors at the same time is very likely to cause a conflict. That conflict could result in error messages, crashes of the anti-virus programs, or other types of failure.

but from what I have seen both here and around other sites

Running two or more real-time anti-virus monitors at the same time is very likely to cause a conflict.

I suggest is understated and the practise is actually guaranteed to cause a conflict

They will wye for supremicy on the computer and ignore their actual 'duty' of protecting the machine from infection ;If you look around this and other sites you can find threads where people have believed that having more than ONE installed antivirus program WILL give them far better and increased protection from attack ; the reality is you are bound to get infected :thumbsup:

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

I wonder if other companies will ever merge their definitions.

You mean with each other? In a perfect world, this would be great, but we don't live there yet. The reality is that there's always the competition aspect of it. Many of the selling points of av's are geared towards coercing customers into using their product because one is better than the other whether its because of who can update their definitions faster/more efficiently when new viruses are discovered, better performance issues, etc... Here are two examples of this:

The Best Antivirus Solution for 2006 and 2007

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009

The up side to this is that, because companies are probably well aware of how the competition is doing through, for example, av-comparatives or by user complaints from emails or at their respective forums, companies are always looking for ways to improve their product & in most cases are successful in doing so which is usually better for everyone . As a side note: looking at the comparatives you will see that, for the most part, detection rates, speed, etc.. between most of the av's are not that far apart from each other anyways.

Usually what is recommended if the need for a second opinion is warranted, is to use a stand alone scanner such as Dr.Web free or an online scan, different from the brand that's installed on your computer.

my2

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

Haha, I already use Kapersky 2009 and I am very pleased.

Mabey when we live in that so cold perfect world ;D

wait... isn't that a game? =P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users