Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with CPU installation

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alesster

Alesster

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Hi all,
I have the following parameters for my PC:
Manufacturer : Packard Bell
Motherboard: Cuba MS-7301 (BIOS ver. 027)
CPU original: Core 2 Duo E6300

I installed the new CPU Core 2 Duo E7300. Theoretically it should be compatible with motherboard Cuba MS-7301. I checked in web-page of Packard Bell. But it doesn't work. After switching on the PC the fan of CPU is working without any other actions ... the monitor doesn't have any signal and black...

I asked a vendor in the computer store, he advised to upgrade the BIOS with latest driver. I have found the drivers 031 for Win XP and 3.16 for Windows Vista. I made upgrade of BIOS with drivers 031 for Win XP, since I have OS Windows XP. But it still doesn't work.

The question is: should I try to upgrade BIOS with driver 3.16 for Windows Vista? Or can it be dangerous ? Or probably there is another solution ... ???

Thanks,

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Bios flashing can be dangerous by it self if the computer shuts down while it is flashing.

Have you tried this processor in any other computer to see if the processor works?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Alesster

Alesster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:57 AM

Bios flashing can be dangerous by it self if the computer shuts down while it is flashing.

Have you tried this processor in any other computer to see if the processor works?

I don't have possibility to check, but it is the second processor. I have bought processor which did not work, then I changed it... so this the second new processor. I think that two new processors are damaged it is not very high probability.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:44 AM

Well if it is the second processor then something isn't compatible with each other, but just to make sure. Are you sure you plugged in the 4 pin CPU power connector?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Alesster

Alesster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:31 AM

Well if it is the second processor then something isn't compatible with each other, but just to make sure. Are you sure you plugged in the 4 pin CPU power connector?

Sorry, what do you mean "4 pin CPU power connector"? I gave all characteristics of my system to the vendor in the store, he checked and told that the new processor should be compatible....

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

The 4-pin power connector is one of the 2-connectors which goes from the power supply unit to the motherboard. The other is a 20-pin connector.

Louis

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

Yes, you would have to open the case for that one.

If you open it up and look on your motherboard, should look something like this.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6488/4pin3iu.jpg

(If you need help with opening your computer, we can help. Don't worry it won't bite :thumbsup: )

#8 Alesster

Alesster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

Yes, you would have to open the case for that one.

If you open it up and look on your motherboard, should look something like this.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6488/4pin3iu.jpg

(If you need help with opening your computer, we can help. Don't worry it won't bite :thumbsup: )

Comparing this picture it seems my comp has 4 pin CPU power connector.

How to open computer I know :flowers: ... I changed already processor several times ...

#9 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

Ah okay, are you sure its plugged in?

If not could you try swapping back to the older processor for a little but to if it is the processor or not?

#10 Alesster

Alesster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

If not could you try swapping back to the older processor for a little but to if it is the processor or not?

yes, it is plugged in. Now the older processor is installed. With new one the comp doesn't go ... this is the problem it should go, but ...

#11 Alesster

Alesster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

yes, it is plugged in. Now the older processor is installed. With new one the comp doesn't go ... this is the problem it should go, but ...

I tried last possibility, I upgraded BIOS with the latest drivers 3.16 for Windows Vista. Fortunatly OS Wnodows XP started normally. Then I installed the new processor ... and it doesn't work.
I don't know what can I do yet ... probably it is not compatible or the second new processor is damaged...

Edited by Alesster, 05 December 2008 - 05:41 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

Where are you getting these CPUs you buy from?

That's not to say that I believe that they are defective, just curious as to why YOU seem to think that it's possible/likely.

Louis

#13 Alesster

Alesster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Where are you getting these CPUs you buy from?

That's not to say that I believe that they are defective, just curious as to why YOU seem to think that it's possible/likely.

Louis

I buy these CPUs in computer store.

I don't think that this processor defective, this is just suggestion ... that there is non zero probability for this event )))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users