Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dualboot

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 iSyntax

iSyntax

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:46 AM

I currently run a high-end computer under Vista Ultimate x86. I've finally realized (well, actually I realized this before I actually bought this with it preinstalled) that it requires too much out of my computer - but I'm not ready to uninstall something worth about $200-$300 (no install disc).

So, I was wondering if I'd be able to dualboot (as in boot into XP from the boot screen like alot of people do with Linux kernels etc) into XP. I have a couple of questions, but here are my specs first:

(current OS is Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, build 6001))
Manufacturer: Acer Model: Aspire M3100 BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ~2.8GHz
3070MB RAM (4259MB page file)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 512MB (32bit) (60Hz) [for some reason dxdiag says it has 1780MB memory]
Realtek HD Audio
528GB available [most of it is on D: drive (NTFS), so if I have to partition I could do it on that one, right?]

Onto questions now ..
Is there any risk damaging part or all of my current contents in my hard drive or Vista which requires reformatting etc?

Is it possible for my computer to dualboot into Windows XP?

Do I need anything before/after setting up XP? If so, where and are they available for my computer?

If I dualboot into XP, will I still receive performance drops of which I'd receive in Vista, or would it be the same as if it were XP? (eg. games require 2GB in XP and 2.5GB in Vista, if I dualboot into XP do I still need 2.5GB?)

Is it a hard and/or long process?

.. if I left any important stuff out you could help me even more by saying it

Thanks for helping!

Off-topic question: Will dualbooting into Windows XP for demanding games such as Grand Theft Auto IV released yesterday allow it to run more smoothly or is it just a waste of time?
and
Which XP is the best for gaming? Home, Business or Professional (or w/e they're called)

Edited by iSyntax, 04 December 2008 - 06:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:43 AM

Windows XP Home and Professional are about the same for gaming.

Yes, dual booting will reduce the game requirements for Grand Theft Auto IV down to the requirements of XP.

No its not a very hard process, it takes how ever long it takes your computer to install an operating system + drivers.

After setting up XP you will need to install drivers for your hardware or you will have a bunch of problems.c

Yes, most all computers can do a dual-boot.

You could possibly erase your files if you format your drive of Vista and put XP on your computer, however you can partition your hard drive (Basically cut it in half) And install XP on that and your Vista will be unharmed.

Yes you would have to partition it on your main drive (Drive D:/ in your case)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

Windows XP Home and Professional are about the same for gaming.

Yes, dual booting will reduce the game requirements for Grand Theft Auto IV down to the requirements of XP.

No its not a very hard process, it takes how ever long it takes your computer to install an operating system + drivers.

After setting up XP you will need to install drivers for your hardware or you will have a bunch of problems.c

Yes, most all computers can do a dual-boot.

You could possibly erase your files if you format your drive of Vista and put XP on your computer, however you can partition your hard drive (Basically cut it in half) And install XP on that and your Vista will be unharmed.

Yes you would have to partition it on your main drive (Drive D:/ in your case)

Drive D is not my main drive (correct me if I'm wrong) - but I'm thinking my main drive is the one I have Vista installed on? If so, Vista is installed on the C drive, but my space on that drive is too low (in the red zone). So is it still possible to partition on my Drive D:/?

EDIT: Also, if I install XP drivers for my hardware, will that mean I can't use Vista since they'd require Vista drivers?
MORE EDITS: Is there "reliable" software for this? I've heard of VMWare but its said it doesn't require partitioning?

Edited by iSyntax, 04 December 2008 - 08:01 AM.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Well I'm not too sure how booting off of two different drives would work. I usually hear it doesn't go too well.

Is the other drive really all too full?

Heres a little guide I found, if you don't have a Windows Vista DVD, you can boot off the recovery partition, that should work the same.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...uide.htm?page=1
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

I only have about 22gigs left on my C drive. I'll need alot more if I want to run GTA IV and possibly other games - so it is pretty full. I'm not really good at this stuff to be honest, so a question: Why isn't it good to boot of 2 drives?

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

Oh you can, I usually keep all my OS on one drive, I just hear most bootloaders don't like it. You can install XP with 22GB and install programs on other drives as well.

#7 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

Oh you can, I usually keep all my OS on one drive, I just hear most bootloaders don't like it. You can install XP with 22GB and install programs on other drives as well.

Four more (simple I hope) questions:
1. How much would XP alone take up on my C Drive (where I only have 22GB left)
2. If I were to successfully create a partition of my C Drive, then install XP on that partition, is there even the slightest chance of corrupting Vista/other files etc?
3. I heard you need to reformat/reinstall Vista to create a new partition. Is this true?
4. Where can I check for XP drivers? (I have an Acer)

Edited by iSyntax, 05 December 2008 - 01:52 AM.

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:38 AM

1. With all updates, XP takes about 5 GB for me.
2. No, their is not, when you partition the drive it basically just takes how ever much free space you'd like, and set it off on its own.
3. No, you do not need to reinstall/reformat Vista to create a partition, You could boot from a linux based partitioner called gparted (I use it my self) and have it whack off some free space on your C:/ and set it aside and install XP on that.
4. On the manufacturers site. This is the page you are looking for, it has drivers for Vista and XP. http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/deskt...pire_m3100.html

#9 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Last question (total newb at this): After installing XP (I'm going with Pro 32bit), do I boot up into XP, follow the link and download the drivers (since you said there'd be a bunch of problems, would I be able to even get that far lol?)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

You need to download and have ready...the NIC drivers first, since you otherwise will have no Internet connectivity when the install completes. XP has some drivers in its install cache, but you cannot really count on that.

All other drivers can be downloaded/installed after XP is properly set up, XP firewall is activated, and all critical updates are installed from WinUpdate.

You can save yourself some time and trouble by including SP3 in your slipstreamed CD...eliminates over 100 critical updates since SP2 that otherwise would have to be installed individually.

Louis

#11 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

I'm assuming a NIC driver is for my network card. Where can I get NIC drivers for this network card: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller [I may be wrong, this may not be my network card - if its not, where can I find out what it is?]

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/Ace...FTOKEN=78830304

You can get all of your drivers at the above. Note that some are Vista, some are XP.

Yes, the LAN is the same as your NIC :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:00 AM

*facepalm*

I'm really getting confused and having second thoughts. Even though I can't follow the walkthrough for the dualboot vista+xp Alpha gave me (mentions using your Vista DVD which I don't have), it talks about having to repair corrupt bootloaders, files going all over the place where they shouldn't be etc.

Could someone, if they can, explain a bit more simpler and the risks involved in this? I'm not a newb at computers but I certainly am at dualbooting/installing another OS.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

The complication arises from the fact that Vista is installed before the projected XP install.

The recommendation when doing a dual-boot scenario...is to install the older/oldest operating system first, then install the others in chronological order. The user then does not run into the adjustments that you deem to be complicated.

Have you seen this link, http://www.tweakvista.com/article39206.aspx ? Seems less confusing to me.

Louis

#15 iSyntax

iSyntax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

Is there a way to do this without using the disc [that link mentions using the install disc to repair the bootloader]? I have OEM software, no disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users