Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help building first computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 burntheact

burntheact

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:16 AM

Hi
I am going to build my first high performance gaming computer. Any help deciding on hardware? From my understanding AMD is generally better in overall performance for less money? Also I would like liquid cooling (assuming it is the coolest and not dangerous). Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zeeh

Zeeh

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:23 AM

One of my friends got a new PC for about 1000$ Canadian, then at one point it was awesome, until the liquid cooling system leaked all over his motherboard, he was forced to buy a new computer or traded it on warranty.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

If you're going to build a high performance gaming computer, and want to shell out the extra couple hundred dollars liquid cooling is going to cost you, you should go with Intel. They have some really nice processors out right now that are months, if not a year ahead of AMD's technology. They may cost more, but are definitely worth it. The new Corei7 processors start at just under $300, and really give you some bang for the buck. How much are you looking to spend though? A new corei7 system may cost a good amount of money.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

AMD will release new processors on Jan 8, these will feature the new 45nm. Do not get liquid cooling unless the warranty covers everything, if the liquid leaks your PC is toast. With AMD processors, you will get more for less and are a reasonable alternative to Intel's prices. To further clarify the i7 prices, $300 is for the low-end chip. Add on top of that, a $300 motherboard and DDR3 RAM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users