Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM Not Installing, What Will?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 thegreatsatan

thegreatsatan

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

I work at Office Depot in Technology and I'm very familiar with virus removal, but I've been seeing some harder to remove programs as of late. XP Anti-Virus 2009 is the most frequently seen virus/malware problem I see. Usually, I go into msconfig and kill everything not essential. After reboot I install malwarebytes and Avast! I open the Task Manager and start MBAM. As it scans I look for bogus running programs in Task Manager and 'End' them. When MBAM is complete I 'show results' and remove like normal. Sometimes I miss something in the Task Manager and clicking 'show results' kicks me out to the MBAM opening page.

Lately I've been having problems. MBAM won't install at all. I'll go into Task Manager and kill everything that's not required, but still the problem remains. I run Avast after reboot, before it gets to the desktop and it finds a lot of stuff. Some of the infected files are Windows critical and I keep them. When it's done I try MBAM again, but with the same result.

I believe that the computer is still infected. So the question is what will install to get rid of it? What can I use that's either FREE or the trial will work for the job at hand?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

As there are some infections that can prevent the installation of MBAM and other similar programs, you can try to rename the file to something like somethingelse.exe or whatever you desire and install MBAM that way.

Now about the infection, do you need help with removing it? If so, I can request for this topic to be moved to the Am I Infected section if you'd like some help with it.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#3 thegreatsatan

thegreatsatan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

No, we were able to recover files from it and then we wiped the HD. I only ask becuase this is the second time in the last week.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:35 AM

Okay. Just making sure.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 thegreatsatan

thegreatsatan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

So apparently MBAM is the only recommended Malware remover

#6 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

Not really. There's also one called Superantispyware. Malwarebytes is great for quick scanning and removing stuff on the spot (of course, it's not as effective in Safe Mode, though, for some reason. Can't remember it). SAS is like any scanner in Safe Mode, but even more effective and it's well liked among the staff here for scanning (well, both MBAM and SAS are well liked among this community).

If you'd like to check it out, here it is.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free

Also, you may want this as well to help clear out those cookies when you're scanning with SAS as it'll pick those up as well (and the list can get to be long if this isn't used :flowers:). It's ATF Cleaner by Attribune.

ATF Cleaner

Using ATF before an SAS scan makes life easier on the eyes so that you don't have to go through line after line of tracking cookies. If you'd like instructions on how to use them, I'll be glad to post the instructions (of course, using them is kind of straight forward).

EDIT: 6 times to edit little things = I fail :thumbsup:

Edited by scff249, 07 December 2008 - 11:35 PM.

#7 thegreatsatan

thegreatsatan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

I got SAS and Avira which I used to scan a 'healed' PC. MBAM and Avast found nothing, but Avira found 9 hits.

Posted Image

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

Are both Avast and Avira on the same computer and running at the same time?

#9 TSalarek

TSalarek

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

AVG comes free as do a bunch of other decent programs...there's a thread around somewhere ;)

as far as MBAM in safe: do quick scans in normal boot, do full scans in safe mode...it was specifically designed to run in Normal. per their site there's updates in the works.

#10 thegreatsatan

thegreatsatan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

Are both Avast and Avira on the same computer and running at the same time?

No. I uninstalled AVAST after it found nothing and loaded AVIRA.

#11 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:12 AM

go to my topic post for HJT log reports. )

@ thegreatsatan

Do not follow the above advice. If you think you may still be infected, post an HJT log in the appropriate forum.

@ babes_176

Never suggest for another member to use your HJT as a solution to fix a problem. The symptoms, although they may be similar, are unique to your operating system & its configuration(s). For anyone that may try to fix their system, by following steps in your topic, without supervision, could run this risk of damaging their computer.

#12 thegreatsatan

thegreatsatan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

I wouldn't anyway. I don't use HJT. The program makes ZERO sense to me.

#13 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Is the computer stand- alone or on a Network?

Who is the ISP?

What is the present installed antivirus program and when was it last fully updated and run on a deep full system scan?

What currently do you have installed as protection programs ?

Do you have any reports from any scans for us to check for you ?

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

People, If you read his original post there is no one specific computer, he's offering examples. These are on computers that he sees at work that are in for repair
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 kmoo3679

kmoo3679

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

I had the same issue as the original post.

1. Client had an infected computer (AV2009) and I could not install MBAM, even in safe mode.
2. I clean booted the computer using msconfig and changed the name of the MBAM installer, the program installed then hung on the finish.
3. Re-booted into safe mode, MBAM would still not run.
4. Uninstalled AVG Free and the MBAM program worked fine.
5. MBAM found about 5 objects on a quick scan, deleted all. I then ran another full scan in normal mode.

It would be great if this could be verified on another computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users