Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to replace oldest memory module, which one is it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hikerdave

hikerdave

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

I have a Compaq Presario 5000 purchased in 2000, model# 5BW284, serial# 9044FPM9M229, 850Mhz Pentium III, PC100, with Windows XP Pro.

On a related posting, a couple people suggested adding more RAM. My model has a total of two 168 pin memory slots. This is what I have now:

128 MB memory module (came with PC when purchased)
256 MB memory module (aftermarket, Crucial brand)

So I currently have a total of 384 MB of RAM.

I want to remove the older 128MB stick and replace with a new stick of 256MB RAM, for a total of 512MB of RAM. I believe 512MB is the total RAM my PC will hold.

But how do I know which memory module is the 128MB one? I don't have any specs. packaging, or literature from the newer stick. Don't know if this is significant, but I remember that one memory module was taller than the other.

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by hikerdave, 03 December 2008 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

There is often a sticker on the RAM module indicating how much memory it holds. You often have to remove the RAM stick to see it, though. If there isn't, you can safely remove the stick, turn on the PC and see how much RAM there is.

3939.png

#3 hikerdave

hikerdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Thanks DJBPace. It's installed and works fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users