Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about reformatting with more than one hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lise500

lise500

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:31 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but nowhere seemed especially better. Please let me know if I should ask elsewhere!

My operating system is Windows XP Professional.

I've been advised that in order to fully clean the impact of a recent virus/malware infection, I need to reformat. I've read several tutorials on doing this and it seems like it will be fully doable, but I have a few questions that I haven't been able to find answers to:

First - I have an second internal hard drive which my computer didn't come with; I got it added after I'd had the computer for a while. After I reformat my main hard drive, will it still be able to find/recognize the second hard drive? I think that when the second hard drive was added msconfig was changed (since after that it always opened when Windows started, and never had before); will I need to change something to get the reformatted hard drive to recognize the other drive?

Second - (more of a virus/malware question) do I need to reformat my second drive? It has no operating system files, just storage for music and video files, and none of the many scans I ran ever turned up anything on the second hard drive, but I don't know enough to be sure it's clean/safe as is.

I appreciate any help. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

first, you shouldnt need to do anything for the system to see the second drive..

Second, it would depend on how you contracted the infection. If it was an archived file downloaded via p2p netowrk (limewire or the like) that was opened and run, you may need to at least delete that file. Considering scans have returned null on that drive (was the drive included in the scan?) I would say its a safe bet you could keep your important stuff.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

If you have run scans on the drive it should be fine and there will be no problems recognizing the drive
If it were me, I would unplug it from the system while formatting the other drive. That way you know you can't accidently screw it up
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 lise500

lise500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:00 AM

I'm sure that some of the Quick Scans didn't scan the second drive but I did full scans with several programs that did the second drive too. I'm not sure how I got the infection (I think it must have been through a link in my browser) but it definitely wasn't from a P2P, so I guess that means it's probably okay?

garmanma - dumb question probably, but you mean physically disconnect it? Is that literally a matter of open up case, unplug, then replug when the main drive is done, or is there more to it?

Thank you both!

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

Is that literally a matter of open up case, unplug, then replug when the main drive is done,

yep

Just make sure you discharge yourself on the case or wear a wrist band

Edited by Michael-Anthony, 04 December 2008 - 12:29 AM.

#6 lise500

lise500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reminder, I wouldn't have thought of that! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users