Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files are being moved into my Temp folder automatically

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wherein

wherein

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:32 AM

Hello Everyone,

First, some background about my computer: I use Windows 98, I regularily run Ad-Aware, Spybot, A-squared, and Spy-Subtract; I also have the free version of Zone Alarm Firewall. I have recently had Wareout downloaded without my consent on my system. At first it caused many problems but after a ran a scan with Spybot, most problems went away. Although Wareout itself is still on my harddrive.

Now this new thing I have noticed seems unusuall and I'm not sure if it's related to Wareout.

I have noticed that anytime I upload a new digital photo of mine into one of my photo folders, that shortly after, those same photos will end up in my Temp Folder (C:windows/temp) with a new file name (the name becomes a string of letters and digits).

I do not personally rename them and move them, it is being done automatically. After they are moved, I delete them, because I dont think they should be in my Temp folder; and once I delete them they will not return, so this file transfer and renaming only ever happens once per photo.

If anyone has any comments about this and what I should do, if anything, I would appreciate it, Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:58 AM

The fact that these photos show up in your temp folder is normal behaviour. It is part of the process of uploading the photos.

DoxDesk has manual removal instructions for wareout. This involves editing the registry. If your not comfortable with doing that see How to submit a Hijackthis Log. The HJT team can advise you on the steps neccessary to remove it.

To protect yourself against unwanted program installations:

For some reason Install on demand is enabled by default in IE causing problems such as yours. To protect yourself against this situation do this:

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and take the check mark from Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other). The consequence of this will be that you will begin to see Security Warnings when something tries to install on your computer. Unless it is something you want to install (which happens rarely) always say no.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 wherein

wherein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:46 AM

Hello Leurgy

I'm from Canada too; I'm just living in Japan at the moment.

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to know that that is normal. And thanks for the security info about IE. I will check Dox Desk about removing Wareout, and depending on how tricky it looks I'll do it my self or post on the hijackthis forum.

Bye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users