Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where are all my files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ygarz

ygarz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

I recently upgraded (?) to XP service Pack 3 and since, my HP laptop just got worse and worse. Today it decided it didn't want to work anymore so I've had to do System Recovery as Windows wouldn't start becaue some file was corrupted. Anyway did all that stuff and now the computer is quite fast but I can't find any of my files in the my Document. :flowers:

The C drive shows that its nearly full as it was before the Recovery but all the files are no where to be found! I didnt do "destructive recovery" so theoretically I should only have to reinstall all the external programs but shouldn't lose data??? Please help as there's about 100gb worth of data which I really need! Thank you in advance for your time and help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View Tab

Check the following:
Display the contents of system folders
Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck the following:
Hide extensions for known file types
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Typical names for the backup files:

UserData
My Documents.old
My Old Disk Structure
Owner.newusername (where newusername is a name picked during the Recovery)

These will be in the Root of the hard drive (C:\UserData), or under Documents and Settings
You may also have a Windows.000 or Windows.old folder.

#3 ygarz

ygarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

Thank you very much Michael-Anthony but unfortunately I still can't find those files! I've even used the search facility to look for those names you've mentioned. I've gone into Documents and Settings and checked all the folders but I can't access one folder which is the old account name. When I click on that it says ".....is not accessible. Access is denied". I'm sure it's all in there! Any idea? Thanks again man for your help.

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hello ygarz,

If you can see that the folder is present but you are denied access to it, you may need to take ownership of the folder in order to access it.

"How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

#5 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Nice call.

#6 ygarz

ygarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

It worked!!!!! :thumbsup: Thank you so so so much guys. You guys are legends. :trumpet: You helped me fight the Dark Side! :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users