Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Point

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 idatebots

idatebots

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:46 AM

I keep finding this restore point "Software Distribution Service 2.0". It gets created every few months. Can anyone give me any information on what it is and how/why its being created?

Edited by idatebots, 12 May 2005 - 04:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

If you are automatically updating windows, that is no doubt what it is.
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:14 PM

I did a brief google and did not find much - all I can tell you is I have the same entries in my System Restore points. My 'Automatic Updates" is set to notify only but I do manually update fairly often.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 idatebots

idatebots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:47 AM

Thanks guys. I've read about this before, and didn't come to any real conclusions myself. It seems to be pretty common. I read once of someone having problems with their yahoo and e-mail after discovering these, but I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it. Must be a default Windows thing. I'm just suspicious of restore points I haven't created, besides after installing a program or automatic system checkpoints. My Windows is set to notify as well, and the most recent update was the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool a few days ago. Unfortunately, starting a few months ago, my installed program list has stopped showing the dates of when the Windows updates were installed (another thing I can't figure out why) so I checked my installation history on the Windows Update site. The day the WMSRT was installed is the same day that restore point showed up. I'm not sure if the exact times correspond. The thing is, if I remember correctly, at times they were created when I'm certain my computer was neither logged on the internet, or turned on at all. I could be mistaken. The previous time I installed the Malicious Removal Tool was last month (which I download a newer version released every month), and it just so happens I have deleted all restore points except this month's. So all I can do is speculate until next release. Until then, I'll be vigilante.

Edited by idatebots, 12 May 2005 - 04:21 AM.

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:33 AM

If you are using/allowed the M$ Anti-Spyware application to run, and have it set
for the automatic updates, this may be what you are seeing in those points.

I've been caught off-guard several times shortly after mid-night EST, with a
download/update that I was not expecting, nor did it show up until I used my
task manager to view the process. It was an M$AS update in my situation.

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#6 idatebots

idatebots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Koan. It's funny you mention that because I do happen to have M$ AntiSpyware enabled for automatic updates but set to notify me when available. Now that I think back, I can't recall ever being notified. In fact, I pretty much manually check every day for updates for all my protection software (a slight case of OCD, that or I'm a cybergermophobe) so I never gave it much thought. Now I'm also wondering if it's running unexpectedly in the background. I too have the habit of frequently checking out my process manager and I haven't noticed anything peculiar in that regard. Thanks for the insight. I will definitely look into if there's any connection between that and the elusive Software Distribution Service 2.0.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:25 AM

I have never been notified either, unless I was "off-line" for more than 24 hours.

But I a "senior citizen" now and subject/prone to ..... rats.... I forgot.... :thumbsup:

Anyway, track and watch the processes and you'll figure it out.

Let us know if you will, the results? Eventually?

regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#8 idatebots

idatebots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:56 PM

Do you know the process(es) name? The only M$ AntiSpyware related I could find were gcasDtServ.exe and gcastServ.exe which are always running and I'm pretty sure they're schedules. As far as the background downloads, I haven't noticed anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users