Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with labtop computer purchased at city auction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dll0115

dll0115

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:11 AM

HI
I am Debra and live in Texas
My son in law purchased 4 labtop computers one is a Compaq and 3 are Toshiba's
He purchased them from the city auction

The city before selling them wiped everything off the computer and I mean everything

These do not have CD Rom Drives but do have lloppy drives

I tried putting in a Windows 98 start up disk (Compaq) but i am getting the following message

KB Book ok 16384 kb

then i get Mircosoft Windows 98 Startup menu
I clicked Start computer without CD rom support

it says no devices found aborting

then it does a bunch of computer junk

then it goes to a page that says

Windows 98 has detected that Drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT 32 partition

then it goes on to tell what could casue this and then

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive C

Device Driver not found "MSCD001"
To get help type help and press enter
Then it goes to Ms Dos prompt
A:\>

How do i fix this and get windows instatllled
I dont want internet access on this as of yet
it is mainly for me when i do genealogy at libraries and out of town visits
and to print stuff later on

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Debra TX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:27 AM

Hello Debra and welcome to BC

It would seem that you are using a 98 bootdisk to start the computer which is fine. However that only contains the basic instructions to start the computer and allow you to program 98 (or another operating system). The error messages concern the fact there is no CD drive.

Windows 98 has detected that Drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT 32 partition

Since these computers had their hard drives wiped before sale you now need to prepare the hard drive for an operating system. Boot the laptop with the bootdisk and at A:\> type in "fdisk" and follow the instructions in Fdisk and Format a Single Hard Drive with One Partition using FAT32. In these instructions, scroll down to "Restart leaving the EBD boot floppy in the floppy drive." and start there.

This procedure prepares your hard drive to accept an operating system. You will need an external CD Rom drive and a Windows 98 CD to load the operating system. 98 can be purchased from any number of sources fairly cheaply if you don't have it already.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

I suggest reformatting the whole hard disk ,then try a clean install of a new operating system. Just like the previous reply...said "

"Since these computers had their hard drives wiped before sale you now need to prepare the hard drive for an operating system. Boot the laptop with the bootdisk and at A:\> type in "fdisk" and follow the instructions in Fdisk and Format a Single Hard Drive with One Partition using FAT32"

have fun!
In a World without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users