Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do you still use xp?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Is there an ultimate reason? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you still use XP?

1. Vista is too expensive right now. (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. I've tried vista and don't like it. (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Vista won't run on my 386. (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

4. I don't know, just habit I guess. (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

5. Because XP is more stable. (6 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. Huh, you mean there's a newer os? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. None of the above (please explain) (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

I have MCE on one box, and ultimate on my lappy.

MCE because that's what it came with, its legal, and that's all it really supports (hardware wise, i'm a cheapskate when it comes to desktops)

Ultimate on my lappy because it deserves it. (asus M70Vm-X1)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

I stay with XP...because I feel it does everything that I would expect of an O/S and I'm very comfortable with it.

FWIW: I do own a purchased copy of Vista Basic, but I seem to have no interest at all in installing it on one of my systems.

I've never seen anything by anyone...that will convince me that Vista Anything is a better O/S for the casual user that I am.

I don't game, I don't mind all the things that crybabies contrive to call fallacies/weaknesses in XP...I just do routine things (CDs, browsing, video-rendering, etc.) with XP and it facilitates using the programs I use for such with a minimum amount of unnecessary activity that will not gain me anything other than...familiarity with a new O/S (soon to be replaced by an even newer O/S).

I started on Win 3.1 (while in the Army), moved to Win 95 after I retired and finally bought a PC. When Win 98 came out, I immediately tried it and thought it an improvement (bugs, drivers) over Win 95.

When XP came out, I decided to try it for a week before deciding. After 24 hours, I had installed it for good on my 2 systems...convinced that the enhanced driver support and lack of bugs...was a great leap forward.

I don't see anything about all the poop put out about Vista...that commands that kind of respect from me. The alleged increased security? Security begins and ends with...the user. No O/S is going to be idiot-proof unless you somehow make it so that the idiots cannot operate it :thumbsup:.

But that goes against the whole premise upon which Windows is built...we don't want a society of a few geeks who know how to program, play games, and otherwise manipulate computers. The goal of Windows (IMO) has always been to facilitate idiots like me (who used to pay local computer shops to reinstall Win 95/98 for me) actually overcoming our fears of The PC and enjoying the variety of things possible with this tool.

That led to the growth which will continue to increase...because Microsoft has world-market ambitions, not just the aspirations of a given small group of users.

I have severe myopia...but I just don't see what Vista offers me that would make me want to install it and remove XP. I can wait until support disappears and beyond...because I am my own support :flowers:. I've traved some way on the road to understanding how to use the vast repository of info/data available on the Web and the fact that MS has a Go To Vista Now date...doesn't bother me.

In all honesty, I will have gone to Vista by then...out of curiosity, more than anything. But it will probably not be the current versions...but (hopefully) one which eliminates some of the errors I believe they made in offering the current crop of versions.

World-wide...do you really think that all those less privileged persons who now have computers...are anxious to switch operating systems that call for considerable hardware considerations? On the business/enterprise side...maybe. Clowns like me or with less income and interest than I...no way. If they do, they'll probably do so via the torrent route.

I don't know...some persons buy a new car every year or two years, even when the incumbent still functions effectively and efficiently. Some persons buy a new computer because they think of it as a toy and they just get tired of their toys every few months.

I don't intend to switch my O/S just because...someone else tells me that I need to do so because...well, just because :trumpet:.

When I install Vista, it will be because I want to become familiar with it and continue my participations in various computer-help forums...from a position of knowledge gained by playing with my computers. It won't be just because a new version is out, etc.

Now, I'm curious...what do you see as 3 advantages of Vista over XP? Thanks :inlove:.

Louis

#3 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

it looks cool?
nothing
and nothing

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

I stay with XP...because I feel it does everything that I would expect of an O/S and I'm very comfortable with it.

I've never seen anything by anyone...that will convince me that Vista Anything is a better O/S for the casual user that I am.

I don't know...some persons buy a new car every year or two years, even when the incumbent still functions effectively and efficiently. Some persons buy a new computer because they think of it as a toy and they just get tired of their toys every few months.

I don't intend to switch my O/S just because...someone else tells me that I need to do so because...well, just because :thumbsup:.

Louis

Sorry to pare off some, but those are my feelings. Why change for changes sake? I like XP. Besides my computer might or might not run well with Vista. I dont want to buy/build a new computer right now.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

None of the above: I don't feel that MS should force me to subsidize the RAM industry. If I want a new OS it should work with the current amount of RAM I have, which works perfectly fine as is. It ain't broke and I don't feel the urgency to 'fix' it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

No O/S is going to be idiot-proof unless you somehow make it so that the idiots cannot operate it :trumpet:.

:flowers: Your on thin ice with hot feet hamluis.....! Don't push it :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

That was the way that I always looked at DOS...it was devised to keep us idiots :thumbsup: from the world of computing...and it worked that way.

Intimidation begins when a user has to work in jargon that he/she doesn't understand and which has its own rules, a major reason why so many of us find learning to speak/read a second language...too mind-boggling to even consider.

Windows is successful because it eliminated that...and that seems to be the direction that linux distros have started leaning towards.

(Pardon the digression).

Louis

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

I got XP Home and Pro, Vista, Ubuntu and Lord knows how many different Live versions. If I look hard enough, I'll find a stray 95/98 machine and somewhere there's an old Thinkpad with W2k on it

Edited by garmanma, 03 December 2008 - 08:27 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

I got XP Home and Pro, Vista, Ubuntu and Lord knows how many different Live versions. If I look hard enough, I'll find a stray 95/98 machine and somewhere there's an old Thinkpad with W2k on it

sounds like my cps120 teacher.

#10 Noob For Lyfe

Noob For Lyfe

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:04 AM

I am straying away from Vista because:

1- I don't have the required 8 GB of ram to run it (joke)
2- Even though you can turn them off, the security popups are annoying as hell.
3- EVERYTHING is compatible with xp
4- a Dual boot of XP and Ubuntu far outweighs Vista ANY DAY
5- I'm not willing to come up with a couple hundred dollars to buy "the next best thing" when clearly most people I know would rather run straight old school DOS than it.

#11 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

Vista is just one big memory hogger! You need double of everything just to run it the same speed as you had with XP. And for what? Yea it does look nice, but nothing to special to convert!

#12 Michael-Anthony

Michael-Anthony
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

I am straying away from Vista because:

1- I don't have the required 8 GB of ram to run it (joke)
2- Even though you can turn them off, the security popups are annoying as hell.
3- EVERYTHING is compatible with xp
4- a Dual boot of XP and Ubuntu far outweighs Vista ANY DAY
5- I'm not willing to come up with a couple hundred dollars to buy "the next best thing" when clearly most people I know would rather run straight old school DOS than it.

what about a triple boot of xp vista ultimate and ubuntu jaunty??

#13 Hp Photo Center Tech

Hp Photo Center Tech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:38 AM

I find that everything I do in my daily life is compatible with XP. All the programs I have used and I am very familiar with work great with XP. I run Nvidia SLI, which in many cases that I have heard of=vista pukes on SLI.<(That may have changed with sp1).

On Vista, I find that when running network printers, file sharing, password protected printing (Do we fear that much for our paper?) and other little security measures are a little much for my house set up. And trying to figure it out for the first time will require finding some kind of walkthrough (Ever heard of the Vista network setup wizard? You better grab a wand.)

I still have yet to install a video game that tells me I can not play it because I do not have dx10. The first time I installed Vista Ultimate I had about 12 programs that came up with the incompatible status. People then tell you that you are trying to use out dated stuff, that may be true.(But it does not help that I have to shell out 400 bucks for on OS when it first came out, then another couple hundred to replace software that came out less then a year before.)

But, that is in the past, almost everything out in the last two years has been compatible. But, I still use XP pro on my gaming rig and on my file/print server. Why?, because I have still have not ran into something being compatible Vista and not XP.

Vista is a very beautiful operating system, I love the GUI, the little visuals when delete/move/copy a big file. LOVe how it tells you how fast (MBps) you are moving data. Media Center built right in! That puts a bigger bust and some lace on it. Way more user friendly when installing it. (Lets you reinstall (trial) without having to tear apart your house looking for the key).

But, everyone knows, one day it will happen. XP will turn into 2000, already we will not get anymore service packs. We will boot our computers and people will giggle or sigh in disgust when they see our boot screens. But, for now, only for a while, XP is in my box because if I need it done, it happens

Edited by Hp Photo Center Tech, 04 December 2008 - 01:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users