Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GMER rebooted my PC and now it wont startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yankeebb

yankeebb

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:21 PM

A few weeks ago I had a serious virus/malware and ran a bunch of programs to get rid of it. Occasionally, I'll run them again to make sure I'm good. GMER was one I had downloaded but ddnt use before, figured I'd check it out. It started in the Malware section and I clicked SCAN. I noticed it found one thing and then a few minutes later, my PC rebooted. I get the Windows symbol come up as if it's loading, but then it goes to a completely black screen and hangs there. I powered off and tried to start using last known working config (black screen) and Safe Mode (shows me the files but then just hangs). What the heck? I didnt do anything but click Scan, now my PC is fried? Using Windows XP, SP3 I think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yankeebb

yankeebb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

ok, I just left the black screen up and windows started finally, but it was super slow, and I've never seen a black screen for so long. I'll see if I can figure out what happened, and wont be touching GMER anytime soon. Anyone know what happened here? Normal GMER activity? As of now I see all my icons but cant do anything, mouse wont work, keyboard wont work. I'll leave it for now, see what happens. Still see the hourglass occasionally, so it's doing something.

#3 yankeebb

yankeebb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

Sorry about all the posts to myself. Got a Windows error message "the system has recovered from a serious error." I'd love to send the error report to Microsoft but I still cant use mouse or keyboard.

My screensaver came on, I still couldnt use keyboard/mouse, so I hit reset button. This time Windows loaded normally, but still cant use keyboard or mouse. Ugh. I may attempte safe mode again, we'll see

Edited by yankeebb, 03 December 2008 - 02:53 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

I am moving this to Am I Infected for the time being
First, try rebooting your computer again and see if it works. If no, go into your BIOS and search for Legacy USB or something to that effect and make sure it's enabled
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 yankeebb

yankeebb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thanks, sorry, I did debate which forum to put this in. I did finally try rebooting again to safe mode which worked, and my mouse and keyboard worked. I then just did System Restore to that morning and it's been fine since. I got error msg which led to Microsoft page basically telling me the PC rebooted to protect itself. I will never run a GMER scan again! Ever heard of that happening before?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users