Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop 4500 Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Armed101

Armed101

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hi,
I have a Acer 4500 Laptop.... It had a locked harddrive and bios so I reset the bios by unplugging the bios battery and it worked... Installed new harddrive and got windows installed... I then started having problems with it shutting down around 30-40 percent of installing windows... So I got frustrated and decided that maybe it was a cooling issue.. So I got the biggest box fan I could find in my house and turned it on and it got through the install... So Now Im having similar problems with it... After about 1 hour of use the screen goes black and the PC is still on, Like the lights and everything are on but the screen is black.... I then have to hold down the power button to get it to turn off. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Edited by Armed101, 03 December 2008 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Ok... I think the CPU is just heating up so i took off the heatsink... It was very loose I might add and looking at the heatsink pad it looks as if there is some sort of thermal tape applied and then in the middle where the CPU meets the heat sink is a rectangle cutout the same size of the CPU... Should I take all of the thin thermal tape off? It really doesnt seem to be like tape at all as it comes of really easily but it is covering the complete bottom of the heat sink except for the retangular area where the heatsink meets the CPU where it seems as if regular thermal compound has been applied. Ill go ahead and go out and get some good thermal compound... Should I remove the thermal tape and just stick with the regular dab of thermal compound?

Edited by Armed101, 03 December 2008 - 03:27 PM.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

You don't want to use just a standard thermal compound as most of them will have silicone in them. You need something that will have some silver in it.

That could definitely be your problem as the CPU does not like getting too warm. :flowers:

So, get some good thermal compound and reassemble that heatsink so that it is secure on the CPU. There are usually screws on the heatsink, somewhere.

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

DR

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

Thermal compound will cost somewhere in the area of $5-10...money well spent (even if you only use it once).

Louis

#5 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

Ok so far ive got the heat sink back all together with some good silver thermal compound and its giving me a reading of 60 Celcius being the high one and the low is 50 degrees Celcius... Are those good readings?

Damn!!!!! Ok now went to restart because I installed an update and the screen went black again.... So I turned it back on and nothing comes on screen... Power buttons light up and all but nothing on screen... Looks like ill have to wait around 20 min or so for me to turn it back on...

Edited by Armed101, 03 December 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#6 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:21 PM

Actually had to wait for 9 min then I could turn it back on successfully.... :thumbsup:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

When you had it apart, did you blow out the fan ductway and vents?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Armed101

Armed101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

Yep I blew everything out nice and clean.... Now its giving me Blue Screen Errors... :thumbsup:

Edited by Armed101, 05 December 2008 - 02:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users